Thread: ECU Tuning
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2018, 05:35 PM   #1
weste46

Default ECU Tuning

Hello,
I have an auto 318ti. I plan to swap to a manual. I never found any compacts in good condition around us with a manual, so I bought an auto planning to eventually do the swap.
I plan to swap to a manual in the Spring. I am confident that I can make the swap happen physically, but I don't know how to tune (or even communicate with) this particular ECU. What have people done to ensure there are no errors (CEL) after the swap? Is there an "easy button", someone I can send the ECU to for both a manual transmission rewrite and possibly a more aggressive 91 octane tune?

I tuned my E46 330ci to an original BMW tune given to cars overseas that did not come with cats (not sure of the country) with Winkfp, and I felt a noticeable gain in power. It requires 91 octane, where I believe the 318ti only requires 89. Are there any overseas tunes for this engine (even with a different DME part number perhaps) that I could use? If I knew I could communicate with this ECU the same way I can communicate with my 330, I think I could rewrite the DME as a manual overseas car. I can't find any threads on anyone doing their own tuning though.

Thank you.

Last edited by weste46; 10-30-2018 at 05:38 PM.
weste46 is offline   Reply With Quote