Thread: E39 Mirrors
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2011, 06:16 AM   #1
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Default E39 Mirrors

Not quite perfect, need to work on my technique. This small section took me about an hour. Of course this was after about 4 other attempts on different areas of the wheel using various methods. I'm still ending up with microscopic scratches from the polishing. I think I need to try a different polishing compound and/or cloth.

Started out by stripping the clearcoat off of the lips with Strypeeze paint remover. Then used 150 grit on a rubber sanding block to remove the curb rash. Then I used a Harbor Freight medium grit sanding pad to remove the factory machining grooves. Followed up with a fine grit sanding pad. From here on out I wet sanded each step. Started out with 500 grit, then 800, 1000, 1200, 1500, and finally 2000. From 1000-2000 grit, I added a small amount of dishwashing soap to the water so the sand paper would glide.

So here's where things get tricky. I applied some aluminum polish with my finger using a light circular motion. Then I used a cotton buffing disc on a rotozip to work it in and buff it out. Applied another coat of aluminum polish with my finger, then buffed it out with a microfiber cloth. Results:

I'm really dreading getting back into this again tomorrow. The more I think about how much of a pain it's going to be to maintain these things, the more tempted I am to have them chrome plated.

BTW, please excuse my sorry attempt at a clever title. This thread has nothing to do with mirrors, just e39 wheels that are mirror polished