Thread: epiphany swap
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2011, 07:45 AM   #36
dahamler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebimma View Post
Sigh, im a dumbass, i totally misread the original paragraph. From the sounds of it, youre not too sure of what is actually going into the actual project, and since you said the mechanic, youre also not doing any of the work yourself. LS1, big and dumb, far from it, wankel, small and brilliant, no comment. The ti, for its size, is fairly heavy, not matter what engine you put in it. In all honesty, for its size, it should weigh in moreso around 2500 with engine installed.

Ive had 4 tis, clubsport, two sports, and an active as well as the m44b19, m42b18, m50b25, and ls1/6. The 4s are very underpowered for the chassis, they at least need 5psi to feel competent in this chassis. The m50b25 is much much more adequate for it and feels amazing when you install the correct suspension. My m50 had quite a few mods but was still no S5x but easily matched up with gt mustangs, r/t chargers, etc. with street tires, 4.10lsd, intake, exhaust, and a chip, fully equipped even.

The ls1 package isnt dumb, big, but not dumb. Its a VERY compact drivetrain, everything except the PS resevoir and pulleys sit on or rearward of the front subframe and the t56 six speed helps put weight where it belongs, at the center and low in the chassis. The driveshaft is custom, and the rest is BMW also with the 4.10lsd from the e30 m3. Easy torque and horsepower from down low all the way to the top, not to mention hp/$ ratio for mods an maintinence is good that its worth the time and effort to install one. Everyone says, OMG, ls1 so stupid in a ti, yet, in europe, guys swap in the real s5x in their tis, which is nearly the same output but with an iron I6 and 6 speed, dont see anyone crapping on them.

To each their own, hope yours turns out the way you want, id personally grab a miata engine or even an old 5.0 mustang engine with a 5 speed.
I am one of the neigh sayers when it comes to the 318ti and the LS1. I can't argue with you Tony about the power compared to the euro S5X but the power band (delivery) and the overall potential of the LSX is what concerns me. I personally wouldn't bother with putting anything more than 350 hp in the Ti chassis. I have a very strict formula in how I build my cars,
I blend factors such a performance, safety, reliability, aftermarket support and a few other things to create a overall balanced vehicle.

Notice I never said that I didn't like the overall idea of the LS1 swap
I would just rather have it in a different chassis with a huge contact patch 305s all round:

Maybe the OP isn't a troll but I'm sure that some of his statements are exaggerated. Here is my thoughts on the aforementioned swaps.

13BTT: Heavy, expensive to maintain and modify. Power potential 350 reliable HP. I know you can show me 650 hp versions but those engines lives are measured by hours and cost $30k to build including all the aux components to support it (fuel management, turbo upgrade, etc). Apex seals exit at the first sign of detonation and not many people really know how to build these engines anymore.

SR20DET: A friend and I imported and installed these back in 2003 when I had a shop in Cali. Great little engine with awesome aftermarket support and low cost. The problem is the power potential is less than the S52 for overall cost. Dollar for dollar an S52 will cost much less and can make just as much power (if not more ) than the SR20det. Read 400 hp sr20det will cost you around 7k which you can do for around 5-6 with a S52. Stock for stock a S52 will beat the snot of a SR20det every day of the week. Blacktops with T28s @ 9 psi put down around 212 Hp and 209 ft/lbs Tq.