Thread: epiphany swap
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2011, 05:02 PM   #41
Crashaddict

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebimma View Post
Sigh, im a dumbass, i totally misread the original paragraph. From the sounds of it, youre not too sure of what is actually going into the actual project, and since you said the mechanic, youre also not doing any of the work yourself. LS1, big and dumb, far from it, wankel, small and brilliant, no comment. The ti, for its size, is fairly heavy, not matter what engine you put in it. In all honesty, for its size, it should weigh in moreso around 2500 with engine installed.

Ive had 4 tis, clubsport, two sports, and an active as well as the m44b19, m42b18, m50b25, and ls1/6. The 4s are very underpowered for the chassis, they at least need 5psi to feel competent in this chassis. The m50b25 is much much more adequate for it and feels amazing when you install the correct suspension. My m50 had quite a few mods but was still no S5x but easily matched up with gt mustangs, r/t chargers, etc. with street tires, 4.10lsd, intake, exhaust, and a chip, fully equipped even.

The ls1 package isnt dumb, big, but not dumb. Its a VERY compact drivetrain, everything except the PS resevoir and pulleys sit on or rearward of the front subframe and the t56 six speed helps put weight where it belongs, at the center and low in the chassis. The driveshaft is custom, and the rest is BMW also with the 4.10lsd from the e30 m3. Easy torque and horsepower from down low all the way to the top, not to mention hp/$ ratio for mods an maintinence is good that its worth the time and effort to install one. Everyone says, OMG, ls1 so stupid in a ti, yet, in europe, guys swap in the real s5x in their tis, which is nearly the same output but with an iron I6 and 6 speed, dont see anyone crapping on them.

To each their own, hope yours turns out the way you want, id personally grab a miata engine or even an old 5.0 mustang engine with a 5 speed.
I understand what needs to be done, and i am doing most of the work myself, but like many have said, this has never been done before, it would be good to have a professional do the complicated part of making the car functional i.e wiring the gauges, power windows, stereo. its not exatly a simple swap trying to make a BMW and Mazda play nice. Ive been looking wiring diagrams and honestly, they might as well be in japaneese. uncharted waters dude, im sure i could figure it out, but id rather not risk it
Crashaddict is offline   Reply With Quote