View Single Post
Old 02-25-2005, 05:37 AM   #7
mickd

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooten1
There's a girl who drives a ti at the college I go to. Drives it just as a means to get from A to B. She has no clue as to the heritage behind the brand, just that the car looks nice and was a cheap BMW. That's the kind of thing that bothers me. Driving the car as a status symbol and totally clueless as to what it means. I get mean looks from other people when I say that I drive a BMW..."oh, he's just some rich kid." Not true...I had to work for the car, and I can honestly say that I got much more than I paid for in the car. Us enthusiasts are relegated back to the dark corner of the BMW community...the rich doctors driving their 7's and 5's with the bangle-fied looks to them are the majority now...and the few M3's I see are usually bought for the image. They should give a test to BMW buyers. If you can't answer these questions about BMW heritage, I say you should only be allowed to buy base models. The more questions you get right, the nicer the car you get. If you can answer 100% of the questions, only then should you be allowed to buy the M cars. (Like the new M6...it's coming folks...after a 15 year absence.) Anywho, I too am thankful for these groups. Enthusiasts that can hang out and chat about the things that they care about, though we are outnumbered. Thank you for all of you that care about your car and the heritage behind it.

(On another note...what's the story with middle aged women driving all the cool cars? I passed an E30 M3 driven by a middle aged woman, and she was doing about 10 under the speed limit. It almost made me cry. I wanted to go up to her and have a word with her. I'd gladly trade her a cheaper car that would get her from A to B at 10 under easily, while keeping the M3 for myself. )
Gooten, you hit the nail on the head. I too had to work hard for my car and wish I could be driving an M3. Not saying I would rather own an M3 than the ti, It would be nice to have an M3 in addition to the ti. Or somthing like a 6 cylinder conversion like alot of you out there. That has to be the ultimate in performance for the E36. I have always liked 4 cylinder BMW's, and am kind of sad that they aren't sold in the USA anymore. That's a great idea, a test to determine what models you could drive. I dream about the new 6 Series too. Thanks to everyone who responded, I have felt kind of isolated as a BMW owner and just wanted to share my experience I had this morning. And I can relate to not wanting to tell anyone what I drive when asked. I always get the impression they think I'm a snob. Don't really understand that, I usually respond pretty sheepishly. Thanks again for all the responses, glad to know that all of you out there really care about your car, the company, the community, and most of all, driving.
mickd is offline   Reply With Quote