View Single Post
Old 06-20-2005, 04:05 PM   #2
L84THSKY

My 2 cents:

Replace the gas filter and use higher octane gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Our '98 ti occasionally starts a bit on the rough side. It has happened about 7 times since we purchased it a month ago. By "rough start" I mean that immediately upon ignition the car rumbles a bit then konks out. Turn key to the "off" position, count to 3, start her up and give her a bit of gas for good measure, and everything's good. Usually the A/C happened to be on when this happened, so I thought they may be related.

This morning my wife started her car to hit her commute to work. The A/C wasn't on, and the car konked out just after starting. But then successive attempts to start it up failed. The car was turning over, but the sound that it made while turning over didn't sound 100% normal, and it didn't kick into a full start despite holding the key in position for 4-6 seconds at a time. I can't describe the difference, maybe it was all just in my head at the time (because we were running late as it was). But it was turning over.

Finally, my step son came down and while it was attempting to start up gave it some gas. The engine started up, and everything was back to normal. Do you guys have any idea what may cause the occasional rough start, despite A/C setting? (it seems)

We have:
1998 318ti, stock most things, not modded
Manual

My step son said perhaps we got some bad gasoline, because there weren't any other symptoms. We have been feeding it regular gasoline. He suggested we start using 89 octane +

Thanks!!

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote