View Single Post
Old 04-21-2017, 04:20 AM   #40
e30topdown
ti Daily

I got home after dark tonight and went to get stuff out of the hatch. When I pushed the button to open the hatch, the whole button caved in and disappeared into the hatch! Geez. So I got a flashlight and proceeded to remove the hatch door lining, which I'd never done before. Two push pin plastic rivets that both rivets were broken off at the nub. I had to destroy them. Then two screws with the cover caps that have to be destroyed to get off the screw head. Then I popped all the clips loose around the edges. Did I mention it was dark out? Then I removed the liner and all this fallen apart, shriveled, dried out foam stuff rained down on me. The foam insulation was in pieces no bigger than 3 inches. Nasty.

I shined the light up on the latch mechanism and the push button is just hanging there, not a screw in sight. But it is wrapped up in friction tape. Someone had actually taped it in place instead of replacing the screws! OMG! So many people have no business owning a BMW!

I got a magnet out and fished around in the hatch door and...sure enough I found one of the two screws. Couldn't find the other one. Said f--- it, and got an M6 screw and washer from my work bench. Different length but it worked. While putting the liner back in place, one of the plastic clips fell off and went in the grass. It took me awhile to find it. I did mention it was dark out, right?

Found two more rivets that worked and finally buttoned everything back up sans the foam insulation. Button works better than ever. It even sticks out a little further, making it easier to push in. Didn't even realize it wasn't installed correctly. It is now...

1992 325iC M Technic appearance Diamantschwarz 5 spd. heated seats
1993 325iC Schwarz II 5 spd. SOLD
1997 318ti Active Boston Gruen, Sandgrau w/M Technic interior swap Millpoint Gray
1999 M Roadster Dakar Yellow II, Dinan Stage 3 software, high flow throttle body, and CAI
2001 Z3 3.0i Coupe Black Sapphire Metallic
BMW CCA 369408

Last edited by e30topdown; 04-21-2017 at 04:23 AM.
e30topdown is offline   Reply With Quote