View Single Post
Old 04-20-2011, 10:03 PM   #10
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

I had an electrical gremlin when I had an M44 in my car. Went through 3 alternators and 3 batteries before I finally found the lower engine ground was loose and arcing. First thing I'd do, which I've already mentioned twice, is check voltage between the battery terminals while the car is idling to determine IF IN FACT you even have an electrical problem. You should also check voltage coming out of the alternator. Just touch one lead to the big terminal on the back of the alternator and the other to something grounded to the chassis(one of the three upper strut bolts works well). You should see 13.5-14v. Anything less, start checking grounds again or pull the alternator and have it bench tested for free at your local auto parts store. While you're at the auto parts store, pick up a can of brake & parts cleaner for 3 bucks. After you reinstall the alternator(assuming it tested good), start the car and while it's idling spray brake cleaner on and around the intake boot. Soak the hell out of that sucker, try to get up underneath it as well. Spray it on any vacuum hoses and around the intake manifold, but focus on the rubber intake boot as these are known to crack and leak. If you hear and fluctuations in idle, you have a leak. Usually the engine will rev up to about 3k rpms as soon as brake cleaner gets sucked through a vacuum leak.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote