View Single Post
Old 04-07-2010, 08:59 PM   #39
roadrash
That's not Millpoint Blue

Vehicles
Default Ultra-mega-ghetto-hack

The day after I ordered the E-bay filters, I read here that they wouldn't work. So, they sat here for months because I didn't want to ship them back and figured I would eventually come up with a way to make them work. A few days ago, I was half-way to the filters working on another project and was presented with an "opportunity" to go ahead and attempt to install the "non-working" filters. (I dropped something into the air plenum so I had to go in anyway. LOL)

The basic problem with the cheap filters is not that they don't "fit" but that they don't snap into place and stay there because they're missing some sort of lip around the outside edge. It's just a matter of making the flat filter stay in contact with the curve that it is supposed to fit onto.

I went the low-tech and ugly route of using some wire wrapped around the holder clips to hold the filter down in position. The wire came from a piece of telephone cord. If you open up the phone cord, there are 4 wires, black, yellow, green, and red. I chose red to coordinate with the Millpoint Red interior, but you can use any color you like. LOL So, yeah, it's ugly but it works.

One trick here... you have to get the wire (or whatever you use) pretty snug to make the filter bend to match the curve, but just be careful to not pull it so tight that you break the clips on the side.

Thus ends your MacGuyver lesson for the day.

Here's a photo.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20100405001409.jpg (55.6 KB, 98 views)

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."
roadrash is offline   Reply With Quote