View Single Post
Old 05-14-2017, 12:13 AM   #32
anassa

Vehicles

Coilovers!

Found these Tein SuperStreet e36 coilovers with only 5k miles on craigslist for super cheap! I know Tein as a good suspension brand from my JDM car days (CRX & 240sx) besides it matches the green color of my car! Now I have adjustable front and rear height, and front camber control. The rear shocks obviously will not work but it seems like the rest is good to go!

Rear Springs Comparison:

Left to Right: Stock Z3M, H&R Sport Z3M, E36 Tein SuperStreet Spring

Front Comparison: Stock z3m w/ H&R Z3M spring

When I looked at the comparison I started to wonder about suspension travel, as seen below the bottom of the stock, where it would bottom out is roughly the same with the coilover being a tiny bit lower but comparing the total shock travel it seems like the coilover has a lot less travel. Of course it is important to note that the stock is adjustable in firmness and the spring is also a lot stiffer. Lastly when it is put on the car and height it adjusted so they are similar the travel down should be roughly the same. But again, I am not an expert just sharing random observations!

Rear shock comparison:

It is obvious why the rear e36 shock doesn't work, it is too long and it would bottom out very quickly!

Rear installed:

- With the rear on full low the height is roughly the same as the Z3M H&R springs, but stiffer of course. Kept using the koni yellow single adjustable z3m rear shocks.

Front installed:

Seems like the rear Condor Speed shop pad is starting to crack/break under daily driving conditions already!

How it sits and clear corners!

Tein SS e36 coilovers w/ rear Koni shocks, front set at around medium height, rear all the way down. Camber Plates are set full positive, not sure what actual alignment specs are currently.

Fun drive with my housemates 2013 Focus ST

***328ti Build thread. ***

Even more important:
SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
anassa is offline   Reply With Quote