View Single Post
Old 03-04-2009, 02:24 AM   #1
CirrusSR22

Default My Manual Transmission Swap!

So I'm finally going to get around to doing a auto-to-manual transmission swap. Thought I'd take some pics and document things.

I've been collecting parts over the past couple years and just found a salvage yard this week that had a driveshaft ($105) and transmission ($315) out of a 318ti. One stop shopping for those two big parts is nice! Plus they have a warranty. I also got a brand new Sachs clutch for $135, a 22,000 mile DM flywheel ($23!) plus a brand new 3.45 open diff for $231, all off eBay. I have ordered almost everything that is plastic or rubber, brand new. I have everything ready to go in as soon as the weather warms up. The total parts cost is just shy of $1,110.

I plan on doing this in stages, as to minimize the downtime on the car. The 3.45 manual ratio diff is already installed as an experiment in fuel ecomony when mated to the auto transmission. I'm going to install the pedal cluster, clutch master cylinder, and clutch lines ahead of time.

Today I brought the transmission inside, cleaned it off, drained the fluid and put in brand new Dexron III. I also removed the selector shaft seal and input shaft seal and will install the new ones when they come later this week.

Doing a fluid change on a freshly cleaned Getrag 250.

Inside the bellhousing. The pivot on the left will be replaced.

The input shaft seal removed.

Selector shaft seal removed.

Shift assembly. M3 shifter w/metal pivot ball.
CirrusSR22 is offline   Reply With Quote