View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 06:33 PM   #24
cnaville210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I suggest you get the swap manual from Jim Leach on this board. It's definitely worth the expense in saved time and aggravation.
The plugs by the fuse box is waht connects your engine harness to the body harness. The top part go to the engine and DME. They come with the S52 harness.
The third plug in most cases is for the Utomatic transmission. Some manual transmission cars have 3 plugs also. My M3 donor 5-speed had 3 plugs. It is at this plug that you need to run a wire to your cluster to make you mpg gauge work. Again, the manual describes the details of that procedure.
I have yet to get the car running. I am at the final stages. (EWS DME alignment.) I deleted my tool box and placed the battery in the battery box bolted to the floor of the toolbox floor.
My suspension is somewhat of a hodge podge, but until I get the car running, I won't invest into any componenets. The front was transplanted from the M3, complete. Bilstein Sport, Schnitzer sway bars and springs. My rear is currently stock ti since the M3 rear does not transfer. I am focusing on getting the mechanicals working and the car running before I deal with suspension and brakes, and eventually, the cosmetics
The AC transfers over complete. ABS modules, brake hydraulics at the master cylinder are different. They don't transfer over.
I hope this helps.
Thanks. I probably won't be getting the manual, since I started the project as somewhat of a learning experience, and all of the info is available online after some searching. Plus, being a Mech. Eng. student, it is kind of my duty to attempt it with no extra guidance . As for the middle plug, I don't think it's for an auto since both cars are manuals. Looking at it, it only has a few wires plugged through it, and based on what you said about the MPG gauge, it is most likely for the OBC, which came in the M3 but not the ti. I finished stripping the M3 completely this last weekend, and I think I will attempt to switch over as much stuff as possible to remove some rusty components.

As for the rear suspension, I've decided to stick with the ti rear for now, at least until I tear the subframe

I will be ordering a rear diff soon, hoping to get a 3.25 to maintain as close to M3 gearing as possible. Plus, with that gearing, my buddy's 318is S52 with shrick cams rips from 2nd gear launches all day.

Any way, to all who are interested, here is some updates on the progress. I have been incredibly busy with the semester coming to a close, but I am still attempting to keep at it.

Finished stripping the M3, literally stripped out now. More so than I was even planning on getting it. I took everything down to the e-brake cables out. Now I am just waiting for my friend to be available to pick the chassis up.

I repaired the engine harness, it had some shoddy wiring jobs.

I took the wheels off of the front and rear brakes, and began cleaning the front sub-frame assembly for re-installation.

About to order lots n' lots of parts.

Been spending a lot of time organizing the garage so that I can actually walk through it. The M3 should have been picked up last week, but my friend has proven to be unreliable in picking it up.

I want to take some videos of the 318ti 0-60mph, 0-100-0mph, and some nice donuts and others for a before and after comparison of performance, so expect that after the finished product.

Pics and more progress to come soon.

Last edited by cnaville210; 04-23-2012 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Punctuation
cnaville210 is offline   Reply With Quote