View Single Post
Old 03-16-2016, 04:26 AM   #1
Steez

Exclamation No start or crank, Help!

Hey guys i have a 1996 318ti 5 speed 160k miles

I was wondering if anyone knew that if the chip in my key was dead, would that cause my car to not start or crank?

We replaced the starter with a new one(ourselves...PAIN IN THE A&$), and it still wouldn't crank.. All the lights, A/C, Windows, radio..etc all work, it does have a new battery and components like the alternator and fuses all have power

Also if it helps their is NO clutch safety switch in my car, not behind the clutch pedal, does the 96' model year just not have it?

We had a mechanic come(That DOESNT usually diagnose Bmw's) and he said that the fuel pump and ignition aren't getting power when turning the key....so..
Would that be because the chip in my key is bad, and the EWSII isn't recognizing the chip, and is Immobilizing those components due to it's Anti-theft system? So would this mean i need to order a new key from the dealer? And would that finally make my 318 start?

Any response/input is appreciated, this is just a theory that i had and was hoping some owners here can give me some nice info to get my 318 up and running, this is my first car and i want this beautiful E36 on the road while i shift some gears
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	image.jpg Views:	326 Size:	58.4 KB ID:	16280  

Last edited by Steez; 03-16-2016 at 04:41 AM. Reason: spelling
Steez is offline   Reply With Quote