Thread: M44 PCV help
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2014, 06:22 AM   #1
MINIz guy

Vehicles
Default M44 PCV help

I posted over at Bimmerforums but nobody has helped me yet.

I've noticed that I am getting more leaks as the weather is getting colder. I've already done the valve cover gasket and oil filter housing gasket. My idle is stable and I don't have any starting issues. I also have noticed a whistling sound when accelerating. I now think the leaks are caused by my PCV not functioning correctly.

From what I gather, I'm supposed to have a slight vacuum when the engine is running, correct?

Well, I pulled off my oil cap when my car was running today. The engine's idle stumbled, but I noticed that there was air being forced out of the oil cap hole. Could this positive pressure be forcing oil out of the gaskets, such as the timing case seal?

Here is a video showing what's up. It's blowing air out of the oil cap hole.

I want to figure out a way to get rid of the PCV that will eventually fail. All I can see is there is a hose from the valve cover venting to the PCV. Then the PCV attached to the intake manifold and does what? Do the crankcase vapors feed into the intake manifold and get sucked right back into the engine? Can somebody help me figure out how the PCV is routed so I can make an oil catch can to get rid of the PCV?

2000 M5 -> 1996 318ti -> 1997 328i
Instagram: ndrewchow YouTube: MINIzguy
MINIz guy is offline   Reply With Quote