View Single Post
Old 11-08-2009, 08:19 PM   #7
Mopho

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapayaSF View Post
Well, it's a shop I trust, and there's a little bit of difference between 1) the cost of one replacement part from eBay, and 2) having a mechanic figure out what the problem is, drain the coolant, install the new radiator, replace some clamps, refill it with new coolant, and make sure everything works.

Are you ripped off because the cost of two eggs, two pieces of bacon, and two pieces of bread at a supermarket is several times less than what a restaurant charges to bring it to you cooked on a plate?
PapayaSF,
I like your attitude.
KY jelly is expensive too. Now the good part:

. One thing1) You have a guarantee, 2)you have a local supplier for the radiator / warranty if it craps out, 3) and someone that would probably put it in for you if it does crap out in a reasonable amount of time.

I use 1-800-radiator. Never had one fail. But they have a lifetime guarantee.

Most mechanix I know will not use cheap parts, since they have to work with it and also guarantee it too.

I do most of my own work, being a retired bodyman but sometimes, I gotta take one of my cars in to "my trusted mechanic" who has the computer to diagonos stuff.
Hurts like hell though.

Sorry that happened, bud.
At least you were smart enough not to keep driving it with a leak.

Since the shop put new antifreeze in when it changed the radiator, distilled or even regular tap water would be o.k. for a short distance.