View Single Post
Old 07-16-2010, 11:09 PM   #105
budget76

Jess and Eric, I love you both. I think I've finally got the window under control after 2 years of fighting it. Anyone who does this, the tracks are the key! Its been said many times, but it's not enough.

I've been in that door so many times I can have the panel off and pop the window back into the tracks, re-do the regulator balls, etc, and have the door back together, all in less than 10 minutes. Now I finally took some time and did what the writeup says. Turns out the window was popping out of the front track, so I had to twist it inwards. Now I can slam the door and it stays on track. Time will tell if its perfect, but it's better than it has been before.

SOMETHING NEW: make sure you check your tracks are actually attached to the door. I found that the lower spot weld that holds the bottom of the front track had broken off of the door, so the track would move freely on the bottom. Instead of getting the welder out I just drilled a hole thru and used a short screw to hold it tight.

The only thing I have never been able to do is put the window up and down without the u clips holding the balls in place. I can let it go halfway, then hear one pop halfway out. Maybe its a crappy brand regulator, dunno, but that I have never had work.

When you're checking to see if it stays in the front track: Slam the door a couple times, and stick your finger thru the square opening and feel the window. Mine came half out of the track, I was able to push it back where it should be, put the window up, twist the rail, then repeat until success is obtained
1995 318TI base. 95 2.5L from 325IS. S50 cams+pistons, e36 M3 front brakes. H&R race springs F+R. Turner Motorsport front sway bars, M3 control arms. M Roadster rear sway bar. Racing Dynamics strut brace. e36 325i 5spd. 3.25lsd from e28 535is. M Roadster short shifter. Conforti chip.

Last edited by budget76; 07-16-2010 at 11:14 PM.
budget76 is offline   Reply With Quote