View Single Post
Old 02-04-2015, 03:31 PM   #21
handballallday

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIz guy View Post
I don't think that is a '96 based on the lack of side skirts and unpainted lower portion of the rear bumper. I would look for maintenance over mileage. If it has had a new cooling system recently, I wouldn't worry if it had 190k. If it had 150k on the original parts, I'd think about budgeting to replace those parts soon. I also think the 318ti would be way too slow in automatic form. It isn't a speed demon with a manual transmission, but at least you can control what gear you are in at all times.
hmmm i wasn't aware of the side skirts and unpainted lower portion of the rear bumper. (Sigh) I have a lot to learn. This is definitely a new platform for me but i'm excited to dive in. I'm used to the JDM shenanigans and Tom foolery.

But i will certainly find out if it's a 96 since i'm going up there this Saturday morning with a mechanic buddy of mine. You think it'll be ok to try and haggle alil bit more lower than $2k since it's a 3 hr drive for me and considering the gas and tolls, PLUS if i do purchase it that'll be double the gas and tolls going back home. I figured i would ask but i don't want to low ball or disrespect him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRADESTAR View Post
I don't think that you can go too wrong for $2k. If most things work (windows, etc.) after that it is personal preference, cruise control, manual... Plan to do some work on it though. Common maintenance issues neglected are: Entire cooling system Oil filter housing gasket Valve cover gasket PS: smart to run the Vin through here to discover factory options.
yeah i was thinking the same thing. $2k seems like a fair price. KBB has it priced at $1300-1400. Don't know if that's even a factor i can use when negotiating but i doubt it.

And yes i definitely plan to put some work into it. Every time i buy a used car i go through with the whole tune-up, plugs, wires, PCV, fuel filter, VC gasket, oil change, tranny oil change, diff oil change, coolant flush, all hoses checked, belts checked, brakes checked, etc. etc.

How do you run the VIN thru here? And thanks for your response.
91 MX-5 Miataz - Silversurfer - Weekend Bandicoot
96 5-speed 2dr RAV - Purple baby monster - New Daily
handballallday is offline   Reply With Quote