View Single Post
Old 06-17-2012, 12:37 AM   #16
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breticus View Post
This may sound stupid, but I don't need a left and a right cv axle do I? You just buy 2 and flip the other one around?
Same part number for both halfshafts. Just make sure they are from an ABS equipped e30. Early models didn't come with ABS, therefore they're missing ABS tone rings. Also, scroll back up to my previous post. I switched the picture with a drawing I made a while back. Should be easier to understand.

I highly recommend rebuilding the halfshafts with new boots and fresh grease. I bought my rebuild kits from pelicanparts and they were fairly inexpensive. Figure these halfshafts are coming off of a really old car and they probably have dry/cracked cv boots and nasty old grease. Whatever you do, DO NOT BUY AFTERMARKET HALFSHAFTS from your local auto parts store or anywhere else for that matter. They're garbage. Only use Genuine BMW halfshafts. The boot kits come with crimp clamps which require a special set of crimp clamp pliers. Do not use hose clamps or zip ties.

Here's how I rebuilt mine:
http://www.318ti.org/forum/showpost....&postcount=433

Note that I reassembled them incorectly the first time, so I had to take them apart and reasseble them again:

cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote