View Single Post
Old 11-09-2009, 06:40 PM   #10
Mopho

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapayaSF View Post
I'm not a mechanic, and a job as serious as finding and fixing a coolant leak would be beyond me. I might save a few hundred if I did it myself, but it would probably take me an entire day, and if I screwed up, would cost me more in the end.

Years ago I thought of changing the spark plugs in my TR-6, but chickened out and took it to the shop, and boy am I glad I did. One of the spark plugs off when they tried to remove it. It took them a great deal of effort to get all the pieces out, which they did at their expense, of course. If I'd broken that plug, it would have cost me more time and far more money than I might have saved.

If you want a website built or an article edited, I'm your guy. But it makes more sense for me to leave things like coolant leaks to experts.
PM me the next time you need something done on your car. I am 25 miles from S.Francisco in the East Bay. Might be able to save you some money.
I'm getting pretty good at finding parts at a discount (30 years as a body and fender repairman in El Cerrito and Shop manager for 10 years).
I am so picky about work being done on my cars, I usually do it myself.
I also only know one way to do things. The right way the first time, that way you don't have to do it twice.
Seems like a lot of the young mechanics I have dealt with are in such a hurry to beat flatrate, they don't have time to clean parts, reassemble correctly, or anything else. I HATE doing things twice.
I just changed the A/C condenser (which is probably the next thing that will go wrong with your car, it's typical on Bimmers) and spent less than $200 including the recharge and cost of new condenser. There's a place in Oakland where I get all my radiators and A/C condensers, cost me $142 for the condenser brand new with lifetime warrantee.