Thread: Throttle cable?
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2009, 02:11 AM   #11
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Alright Steven, sorry for the delay. I pulled the cable from my M3 today. Removing the cluster on the M3 did absolutely nothing for access due to the HVAC ducts and insulation in the way. The dash is put together rather differently than the Ti. I removed the driver's seat so I can lay flat on my back and look up at the firewal from under the dash. I had to remove the entire lower dash section on the M3 because it has an underpanel connected to it. I also removed the padded knee buster, just a few 10mm bolts and it came right off.

Once that was removed, I was able to get a visual on the cable, but there was more insulation covering up where it went through the firewall. I cut some of the insulation from around the cable to see what I was working with. All in all, removal was pretty simple.

A small rubber grommet holds the cable end in the accelerator pedal linkage. That pulled out really easy with almost no force at all.

Then there's a plastic clip that holds the cable in the firewall. I used a flat head screwdriver to push in the tabs on the clip. Once you push one tab in, the clip will tilt in through the firewall. Then you take the screwdriver and push the other tab inand the throttle cable falls into the engine comaprtment.

Installation will be much easier than removal, simply snap the plastic clip into the firewall from the engine compartment, then go under the dash and push the rubber grommet into the pedal linkage. Definitely an easy enough job to DIY. Here's a few pics to help you out:

Rubber grommet disconnected from the pedal linkage

Plastic clip attached to the firewall(the steering column is kinda in the way, but you can work around it)

cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote