View Single Post
Old 12-16-2004, 05:20 AM   #14
Phil Marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by popstr
i live in va, where radar detectors are illegal. as from my encounters and those of friends here's what i have to say. the cops can't do anything if the detector's off. so even if they pull you over all you have to do is take it down and turn it off. There is no way they can take it, so calm down and speed smart!
Allow me to repeat myself from earlier in this same thread: "In VA they are illegal to sell or operate, not to own. Access to power is key to proving use. I live in VA and don't go anywhere without my V-One."

If you have your detector in the passenger compartment with you and it has "access to power"---and that does NOT mean it has to be plugged-in---you are guilty of using an illegal radar detector in Virginia. I just want you all to know the truth. However, I have even heard on some ocassions where the officer has stopped someone with a detector and given them a break by simply asking them to lock it in their trunk. They no longer have to confiscate them to prove you had one. Checking that it works and including the serial number of the unit on your citation is enough evidence to convict you. The fine is somewhat standardized at $100 and up as I recall. Court costs may vary and several years ago the state quit counting it as a moving violation so no points. It's still illegal to have one in the car with you, just so you know.
Phil Marx is offline   Reply With Quote