View Single Post
Old 07-31-2019, 02:51 PM   #4
roadrash
That's not Millpoint Blue

Vehicles

Coincidentally the reason I have the 318ti is that my previous car (1989 Honda Civic Si, which generally fits the same description as my 381ti) developed an oil leak and I "just kept topping it off." Obviously I sometimes I let it get too low on oil because eventually a cam shaft broke. I repaired that, but it spurred me to look for another car.

One other issue with the Honda that pushed me towards a different car was that it finally developed a bad spot in the paint and a hole in the drivers seat. The last time I washed the 318ti, I noticed the clear coat coming off at nearly the same spot as it did on the Honda.

The 318ti also has a bit of rust behind the rear wheels which isn't going to get any better on its own.

So this sort of stuff makes me think "replace."

But I still like the 318ti. It suits me. It runs well. Its issues are "a known quantity." I've got a trustworthy and affordable mechanic and would need to find someone else trustworthy if I changed cars.

These things make me think "repair."

@FunElan... you're exactly right... it's a decision between emotion (repair) and logic (replace). LOL I know my mechanic understands that given how many 318ti's he's owned. :-D

So, I'm still struggling to decide which route to take. I'm also afraid that if I change cars, it'll trigger a "mid-life crisis" purchase of something like a BMW Z3 or a Honda S2000. LOL

Anyway... blah blah blah... back to work I go.

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."
roadrash is offline   Reply With Quote