View Single Post
Old 11-21-2015, 01:12 AM   #16
essi1553

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobaja View Post
I was commenting on the head. Bottom end is shorter and thicker cylinders which in my experience is better for running boost. Valve size and ports are same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Shorter? Are you talking block height?

I think you mean to say thicker cylinder walls (since the block is the same, and the bore size for a M50 less than an S50) that is true.

You can run boost through either safely, as long as you have a good tuner, and not running crazy levels of boost. If you're going to boost the motor, stay with an M50. You want the thicker cylinder walls, and an iron block (although both blocks are iron, you lose this when you get to the m52tu or M54) Ideally you'd want to lower compression but that depends on your car's purpose.

If you're looking to build the motor thats a whole different story. Not sure why you are saying the 2.8 is the best, but you're not wrong. Technically it could be better. The 2.8 has a 84mm Stroke, while the s50 is 85.8mm, and the s52 89.6mm. The compression may be different, but if you're building a motor that would all be compensated for with the custom piston set (determined by you, and constructed to spec).

If you're car came OBD1 i'd follow that route, though the job isnt too difficult, and there are a couple guys that make pretty cheap custom wire harnesses.
essi1553 is offline   Reply With Quote