View Single Post
Old 01-03-2019, 03:21 AM   #1
vwmikel

Default '95 318TI - S50 swap

Work has me going back across the pond so I don’t know if it’s fair to the car to keep it in storage indefinitely.

The car in question is a 1995 BMW 318TI with S50 engine swap from a 1995 M3. It has the corresponding ZF 5 speed transmission. It has been a slow moving project over the time that I’ve owned it (about 8 years IIRC – I bought it from someone else on this forum) and have driven it all over the west coast without issue. Some details:

Engine:
-1995 M3 S50 3.0L engine
-Aluminum radiator
-Spal 16” puller fan
-low temp thermostat and fan switch
-91 octane chip
-big bore throttle body

Rear end:
-Medium case E30 325ES 2.93 limited slip differential
-Garagistic eccentric rear adjusters for camber and toe correction
-Garagistic trailing arm reinforcements
-Garagistic 95A raised subframe bushings, trailing arm bushings, and differential bushing.
-E46 M3 calipers on E46 328I carriers with SRS concept adapter plates and cross-drilled 1 series rotors. This takes them from a 272mm solid rotor to a 300mm vented rotor and retains the handbrake.
-Ireland engineering RSM’s with reinforcement plates
Front end:
-95 M3 steering rack, crossmember, control arms, offset bushings and strut mounts, knuckles, and 315mm drilled/slotted rotors.
-Strut mount reinforcement plates

All over:
-ECS Tuning braided brake lines and clutch line.
-H&R Coilovers
-HD trans mounts with Garagistic enforcer cups
-Custom brass bushed shifter with threaded-on aluminium knob, Garagistic poly carrier bushings, Garagistic DSSR
-Staggered M3 Contour wheels
-Depo E-code projector headlights with 55w HID. These are 6000k if I remember correctly.
-Depo smoked corner lights and side markers.

Interior:
-The car originally had grey interior, but most of it has been swapped out with black interior at this point. I have a BRAND NEW pair of door panels for it that I brought back from Europe. But, I haven’t installed them yet as I was waiting to sort out the speaker situation. The headliner could use some attention. A new black headliner came with the car when I bought it, but it has been sitting so long that the material has separated and it would need to be recovered again.
-95 M3 instrument cluster
-M3 “vader” black leather front seats and black leather TI back seat
-Alpine head unit
-A/C works well. I changed the expansion valve and drier a few years back and topped up the freon.
-Sunroof works fine

Otherwise:
-The car could use a paint job. It lived in the southwest it’s whole life and it’s starting to show.
-The tires could use to be replaced. I have some replacements for the rear that I got from a friend that could go with it.
-It should also be aligned as that hasn’t been done yet after the rear-end work.
-The windshield is cracked on the passenger side, but approaching the drivers side.
-I had some raceland headers and 2.5” dual exhaust on it, but has the factory manifolds and smaller exhaust on it right now. I had removed it for mock up as I planned to turbocharge it. Which brings us to the additional parts below.

Extra parts:
I don’t necessarily expect to sell all of the parts to the same person as the car. If they don’t want them then I might save them for another project. I had begun to work out my plans to turbocharge and have the following:
- Borg Warner S300 turbo (supercore)
-AGP turbine housing – T3 inlet, 3” v-band outlet.
-2 misc cast exhaust manifolds. Only one of these fits with that turbo and requires a T3 flange as a spacer because the compressor housing is rather large.
-Tial MV-S wastegate and Tial Q blow off valve. Both of these are legit.
-Rallyroad motor mount bracket to clear the turbo inlet.
-3.5” 304 stainless u-bends. Some 3” as well. I had started mocking up some of the charge piping using some bends that I had.
-Treadstone TR10C intercooler. I made some new brackets and the bumper bar is notched to clear this. It fits behind the M3 bumper cap with ease.
-Cometic .140 MLS spacer head gasket
-ARP head studs
-Raceland headers with a dual 2.5” exhaust setup using magnaflow cats and muffler. This is LOUD and could use to be touched up if you want to use it.
-M3 front bumper cap and M-tech TI rear bumper cap. Both would need to be color matched.
-Brand new M-tech side mouldings.
-Brand new black kidney grills.
-S54 oil filter housing with external oil cooler connections
-Oil cooler AN adapter for the S54 oil filter housing.
-Stepped banjo bolt for vanos connection to the S54 oil filter housing
-Big external oil cooler kit. I planned to put this on the drivers side and supply air via the fog light hole.
-European Red/clear tail lights. These are used original BMW lights that I brought back from Europe.
-European M3 Evolution instrument cluster with integrated oil temp gauge instead of the MPG gauge. Needs a new bezel, but that’s simple enough. I also brought this back from Europe.
-Single mass clutch setup with chromoly steel flywheel.
-Sachs Performance pressure plate for the aforementioned flywheel. I was searching for the right disk to accompany this.
-2 front lower X-braces
-Misc extra black interior parts
-Some of the original grey interior parts
-Extra pair of used e-code lights. One is damaged a bit from what I recall. I picked them up in case I needed an extra lens or whatever.
-factory headlights and signals.

The price really depends on what the buyer wants. Just the car, or some of the parts. I may update this as I find/think about other things to add.

Last edited by vwmikel; 01-03-2019 at 03:25 AM.
vwmikel is offline   Reply With Quote