Thread: oil leak
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013, 06:09 PM   #7
cjreed92

Well I brought my ti into a bmw mechanic and found out what it wrong...not a fun way to end a long work day haha.
Oil housing filter needs to be replaced
Possibly the oil pan as well
Radiator hoses need replacing
Power steering hoses need replacing
Transmission hoses need replacing

The whole bottom side of the front end needs to be cleaned up since all these fluids have been spraying around underneath for who knows how long since the previous owner didn't mention any of these problems when I asked.

The estimated cost for the mechanic to fix these is around 1,000

I am new to the working on cars thing so I don't know how smart it would be for me to try and fix these myself. I know there was a link about replacing the oil housing filter, but I am not sure about the hoses. I don't have access to any special bmw tools so I don't even know if I could do this myself if I wanted.

I think that since I just bought the car I think it would be a smarter decision to first let the mechanic do all the fixes, then I will know what has been done and in the future when something needs fixing I should do it myself and shouldn't have any suprises to more problems.

What do you guys think? Does the mechanics estimate sound about fair? Are all these problems something a new car guy like me should try and tackle? Any advice is appreciated! Thanks guys
cjreed92 is offline   Reply With Quote