View Single Post
Old 09-01-2012, 12:23 AM   #61
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet53 View Post
I have done some more cam timing work on these engines and you are not going to gain 13bhp by adjusting the cam timing, unless, the engine was not setup properly in the first place. Moving the cam timing will only move the power / torque curve up and down the RPM range. BMW would not waste 13bhp like that. If you have had a head skim or other work that moves the valve timing, then you must reset your cams.

There is no information on the Compact Cup forum about this as it is a new series and racers wouldn't give this information up to their competitors anyway.
You must be working on the M44 motor. They had a ruff idle so to solve the problem they changed the cam timing which detuned the car for a smooth idle. This is a 4-cylinder and people who drive I-4's expect a smooth idle they don't car about preformance.

Please speak up if I'm wrong. Also we are working with dual cams so the cam tune could be done to create more power without changing the torque curve. You will have a ruffer idle due to additional overlap on the cam timing profile.

If you don't work specifically with M44 motors they please refrain from stating what worked on another motor you might have worked on. If you are the M44 master then share your results please so I can be proven wrong. I do admit I'm not always right and I'm willing to learn something new each day.

My information came from a BMW mechanic and I just don't think the web page with the specs is active anymore.

I have all the tools to do this right and will lend them to site supporters free you pay shipping both ways.

I just need the specs and a stock motor so I can make a instructional video to go with the kit.

John Smith
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote