View Single Post
Old 06-29-2011, 05:50 AM   #5
FastGuys

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Hatchback View Post
Next was bolting up the ZF 5 speed transmission. I pieced together the M3 shift linkage, and bent the shifter arm to a shallow U shape to make sure it sat center and not offset (which could cause shifts to be difficult). We filled the trans with ATF and installed the fork, clip, and TO bearing. Then we bolted it up. At this point, I had forgot to purchase a new flywheel dust shield and it was left off by accident (I noticed after everything was finished). You'll read later about the clutch misalignment issue I had.
Quick question. You say you had to bend the shifter arm. Are you referring to the shift lever the knob attaches to or to one of the two rods the shifter attaches to below the center tunnel? Based on how my swap is setup, if I was able to bend the cast aluminum piece, that would center the shifter in the hole on the center tunnel and make the shifter perfectly vertical in neutral. Currently it appears to be in 4th when in neutral. The problem of course is that I'm a little reluctant to attempt to bend any cast aluminum parts.
FastGuys is offline   Reply With Quote