View Single Post
Old 08-04-2006, 05:11 PM   #2
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Default Forced Induction FAQ - Required reading for n00bs!

What tools will I need to install the DASC?
Besides the parts supplied by DASC you will need:
  • Ramps / jack stands / jack to get under the car for draining etc.
  • Good METRIC socket (and deep well socket) set with the range of sockets listed in the dasc manual
  • Good set of METRIC wrenches (have these sizes in sockets too)
  • (sizes in mm 9, 10+deep, 11+deep, 12, 13+deep, 14, 15, 16, 17)
  • Set of screwdrivers
  • 5mm hex key (or hex socket head)
  • 6mm hex key (or hex socket head)
  • T-30 Torx bit
  • Side cutters
  • Drain pan (or bucket like i used)
  • Funnel (if you need it to fill the coolant - i didn't have one)
  • a torque wrench that covers the required range (6.5ft-lb - 30ft-lb)
  • WD-40
  • Quality electrical tape (some is supplied in the kit but i prefered better quality)
  • Labels / tags for remembering what connected to what connection
  • A note pad and pencils (just incase you need to take a note

If you are adding the technique tunning stage 2 or 3 kits at this time then the above listed tools are all you need for that too
(Thanks Ian!)

What about the system maintenance?
The Eaton supercharger does not require any maintenance. Since the supercharger uses the same serpentine belt as the engine, you'll need to replace that when it's scheduled to be changed. Always keep you air filter clean.

What gauges should I run?

If you're using the RRFPR, I'd recommend a boost gauge and a fuel pressure gauge. A wideband oxygen sensor is nice, but since you can't really do any tuning to the car, it's kind of useless.

Where can I get my supercharger rebuilt or serviced?
http://superchargertech.com/ - I have personally used these guys. It costs about $500 to get an Eaton m62 rebuilt.

What kind of sounds does the supercharger make?
The charger makes a whine the higher the revs you go.
the intake makes a sucking sound like a inhaling as hard as you can through your lips when they are shaped to blow a whistle

How does a superchargered 318 compare to an m3?
If the Ti and the m3 had the same power you would feal it better in the Ti due to it being lighter. If the M3 had higher torque (as the 3.2L should) then it should pull harder (accellerate)
debateable with reguards to corners as different people like different suspensions.

Is the oil cooler really necessary for a supercharger?
I don't have one and my car is fine. If i was doing a lot of track work i would add one tho.. can't hurt.

At how many rpms can I drop the clutch?

Depends on your clutch, your tyres, the road surface, the weather etc. best acceleration is that sweat spot between slip and grip that only the driver at the time can determin. Just remember that the longer that you slip the clutch, the shorter you clutch will live. A charger will put more load on the clutch and reduce it's life. most people would use it till it dies and then replace it with a stronger unit.

Will having a lighter flywheel be a good benefit as more quickness coming off the line and gaining speeds quicker?
That depends who you ask. Since boost is rpm dependant you want to keep revs high in between shifts, etc. I like heavier flywheels, some people like lighter ones, it's a matter of personal preference. Any input from other members with flywheels and FI?

How long does it take for the kit to break in?
That's a question for the kit manufacturer.

Does the DASC kit come with the Rising Rate Fuel Pressure Regulator

Everything needed for the install is included (not including tools) so, yes, the RRFPR is included.

What octane fuel should I run?
Simple answer: You MUST run the highest octane available. I run 93 since that's the highest I can find. Higher octane fuel prevents detonation. Detonation causes the ECU to retard the timing, which in turn means LESS power. Also, the DASC is C.A.R.B certified, but only if you run 93 octane.

More to come.....
Please post any suggestions.

'99 Dinan M3

Last edited by 1996 328ti; 01-02-2010 at 01:18 AM.
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote