View Single Post
Old 10-26-2013, 09:04 AM   #6
ntaylor90

Today was a very productive day!

Now waiting for the Crank gasket set and piston rings which should arrive by the end of the month!

I started off the day getting the valves out. What a f***ing mission! Haha. I ended up using an F-clamp, and a multi-tool spanner thing, compressed the valves, and then used a little extendable magnet to pick off the little retainers! After the first couple it was a bit easier

I will definitely need a proper valve compressor to get them back on! (I had a stanley 'universal' one, that wasn't going to work.)

There was a bit of carbon deposit on the valves (mainly the exhaust valves, as you can see) so I punctured a can of CRC Carb cleaner and emptied it into a bucket and soaked the valves in for a good half hour - the carbon wiped right off!

Felt like I deserved a beer after that, although it only took me about an hour and a half for all 24!

Cleaning up the head now, I was pleasantly surprised with the condition also, a wee bit of head gasket residue which will skim right off nicely, and some carbon depositing in the exhaust ports! Attacked the Oil Sump and front cover with degreaser, hot soapy water, carb cleaner, and a wire brush on a drill to make it nice and shiny Put on 2 coats of primer, and 2 of gloss black. I will wait until it's properly cured (7 days), sand it down with a tiny grit, and make one last coat. I used Duplicolour engine enamel - had good reviews!

Tomorrow I might start attacking the block with the wire brush too as that will get the black too. I also received my Calipers yesterday, so I will start cleaning them up too for a paint.

Hope everybody has a great weekend ahead! Drive safe :F

Last edited by ntaylor90; 10-26-2013 at 09:08 AM. Reason: pictures didn't upload
ntaylor90 is offline   Reply With Quote