View Single Post
Old 07-19-2007, 01:14 PM   #9
J!m

Vehicles

Your "total swap" idea is reasonable, and do-able.

Bear in mind there are several differences beyond the obvious ones when you do a total swap like what you are proposing. The wiring harness, for example, is quite different. Any options on the ti not on the roadster will be lost. Any options on the roadster not on the ti will be lost. Dependant on how these are integrated into the car's other systems, this could cause serious trouble.

Details such as the extending of the wiring harness to reach the taillights and anything else beyond the front seat backs need to be considered. Location of the fuel pump relay and all the modules (traction control, EWS etc.) are different, but not everything is different. You would need the factory workshop manual (not the POS over-the-counter ones) for both cars to even attempt this job, even with my skill level or better. Many mechanics would not even consider taking on this job.

Definitely the 'right' way to do it, but you will be disassembling and reassembling two complete cars- torn down to the bare frame for the most part- the dash has to come out etc... Expect to not drive either car for close to a year, possibly more. A simple series Land-Rover tear-down and rebuild takes about 9 months if you are good. A BMW has more than double the complexity. So, let's say 11 months per car, or 22 months total to have both cars running and driving.

When you are all done, you have a ti with an odd engine, with a far more odd wiring system and cut/extended/modified electrics. NO dealer in the world will touch that with a 10-foot pole. How do I know? The dealers now-a-days won't even scan my lightly modified car, and I have to replace and re-code my traction control computer to pass emissions (long story). I need my own MODIC computer. Anyone got one for sale? You will never be able to sell the car unless you create a new modified workshop manual which covers all the changes to the electrical stsrems. An M3 swap is simple campared to what you are proposing.

Is it worth it? Maybe. For a 2.8 conversion? Probably not. Since you will do the labor yourself, you can save a bundle. If you were paying for this job, you could get a fully loaded, brand new, E46 M3 and probably have money left over for gas to drive to Vegas and gamble for a few days. You have to decide if it is the right thing to do....

Order Swap Manuals Here => http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12912

WolferJ- gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote