View Single Post
Old 07-13-2017, 02:01 PM   #4
Nix328ti

No, you're right, if it's coming from that side of the engine, then it's less likely to be an exhaust leak.

What we don't want is a rod knock and it does sound a bit like that. For now, let's put rod knock at the bottom of the list because if it is, then you will need to scrap that engine.

You mentioned 5w30. Is that something you changed recently too? How many miles/hours are on the engine? If it's a lot, it could be you need a heavier oil. I don't know the M44 well but I can say my M50/52 engines like a very heavy oil. In both my M50 race car and M52 track car (and daily driver), I need to use 20w50; Otherwise the oil pressure gets too low under track conditions.

We can search for others that characterize the sounds from their m44 as "ticking" and "knocking" and see what turns up.

In the meantime see if you can get a consensus on the oil weight you should be using. Maybe just put a heavy oil in and see if it changes. Then we could potentially rule out a mechanical reason and look for a leak or something. Make sense?
Nix328ti is offline   Reply With Quote