View Single Post
Old 10-07-2015, 04:35 AM   #1
salguod

Vehicles
Default First Gear Lurching / Surging

When I bought my ti, one of the reasons I got the deal that I did was because the car was lurching in 1st gear with moderate to aggressive acceleration. He thought it was the clutch going out, but when I discovered the broken diff mount I assumed that I had found the problem. Nope.

When I take off, the car will sometimes buck and lurch almost like the fuel is getting cut off repeatedly. It doesn't do it every time, it varies in severity and only does it in first gear. Seems more prone to do it when cold and when turning left. It'll sometimes do it when going straight, it hasn't done it yet when turning right. (I haven't driven it enough to know for sure.) Keep your foot out of it and it won't do it at all. Acceleration in 2nd-5th is smooth and strong.

The symptoms don't seem to point to the clutch as the previous owner suspected because when it's real bad it'll actually chirp the rear tires with every lurch. I'm wondering if I've got bad motor mounts and the engine is moving around too much.

Thoughts?
salguod is offline   Reply With Quote