View Single Post
Old 08-10-2016, 05:16 AM   #7
Trusted-1

hotmilk400,

I know you are on the injection molding plan but with the state of CNC mills these days, I wonder if shorter runs of parts milled from solid stock would be cost effective? Or if it would even be feasible.

I don't have any background in either of these technologies but it was just a thought.

Not to intentionally raise the sale price either but the Odometer Gears, E36 seat back repair gears are $40 each. If the gears have more value and fetch a higher price, where does the math work out? I have not recently checked but I am guessing the replacement California top motor is North of $750 if it can still be ordered.

Perhaps there is a sweet spot that is still reasonable and makes the math work. If the math does not work out, no one will have any gears... If it comes down to paying a bit more per pair to make the project viable, it might be the best option.

I don't know about Cali top owners but I have to think about it every time I go to move the top whether it will be the "last time". It would be nice to just use it and not have that worry.

I even told my daughter, "every day you don't use it is one more day it still works".

98 318ti MSport M52, 88 M3, 97 M3/4
Trusted-1 is offline   Reply With Quote