Thread: 135i vs lambo
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2008, 10:56 AM   #32
Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaughn View Post
Proceed is way to agressive of a tune.. And it's not really a tuner at that, just a piggy back... It is not making any changes to the computer management itself, rather it is just faking signals to the computer... It instantly voids the warranty on the engine, all drive components, and all emissions components... Not to mention that the drive shafts and differentials on the 335 can't handle the extra power... I know people say these things are rock solid now with the extra oil cooler, but that is just not the case when you are running the really aggressive tunes out there.
Okay, it uses a piggy-back box instead of reprogramming the ECU. I have no idea of the merit of the product or the wimpiness of modern BMW drivelines. I was just pointing out that, longevity aside, miraculous power gains are possible when dealing with boost, and the 135 in the video has more than just exhaust and intake mods.

IMO, the factory tuning of 8.5 psi for 300 hp / 300 lb-ft from a 3.0-liter turbo is pretty conservative. If the tuning is due to inability of the driveline to handle more torque, well, that just seems weak compared to the robust nature of old-school BMW hardware.

These guys are running ~50% more torque on stock E28 drivelines, and the E28 is ~300 lbs lighter than the E90. Weaker drivelines on bigger, heavier cars? Technical progress?

http://www.turbochargingdynamics.com...5i_Stage_2.php
Den is offline   Reply With Quote