View Single Post
Old 11-30-2006, 05:04 PM   #8
L84THSKY

Using non BMW struts, can be as much trouble as using a non BMW airbox. Didn't you just say the engineers at BMW know what they're doing!

I just finished a job involving a Satcom system on a HMMV vehicle. The system had doors on the side that opened and closed with the same type of gas struts. The problem is, if the struts have too much strength, the points at which they connect to the vehicle are now the weak link.

I haven't looked closely at the two points of connection on the car, but you can bet they will be subject to more force, and could possibly break.

My Triumph mechanic always uses the same analogy about the 100 engineers who designed the bike. I'm always looking to improve my bike, but have to be sure I understand the pros and cons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustenT View Post
NICE WORK!

Excellent post. I need some new hatch struts, I'll pick up a set of these and give them a try.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote