View Single Post
Old 09-21-2017, 06:39 AM   #3
anassa

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endat View Post
I'm approaching 270k miles with the original engine, so I've been thinking a lot about what to do when it dies.. if it dies.

I have been leaning towards the 2.8L engine, but I currently have a 3.45 diff. The gears are too short for my liking and I imagine it would be magnified by the larger engine, rendering 1st gear useless. I have been thinking of going extreme with a 2.7 diff from the automatic and was wondering if the 2.8 would have any trouble turning it. Anyone ever try this? Would a 3.2 be good enough for my goals?

My goal is to make it drive more like my Porsche, which doesn't need get out of 1st gear until about 45mph.
Hmm . . Not sure what to say, its a 318ti, even with a swap it won't drive like a Porsche, not saying in the good or bad sense just that your comparing apples to oranges. Especially since you didn't mention which make/model/year . . kind of hard comparison.

I have a m52 swap with a 3.46 diff and I daily it, drive roughly ~60 miles a day on it and have no problem - that is with LA traffic. Well actually, it does suck sometimes, but I have done it for years and so far I am managing.

I don't know where you get a 2.7 from but to get to 45MPH in first you will need to hit 7k rpm That is with a 2.7. Like ZEK said you could go with 2.93 but honestly I wouldn't go lower. Stock 328is/328i came with a 2.93 and people switch them out for the M3 3.23 all the time (for coupe/sedan e36). The 2.8 z3 coupe and roadster came stock with a 3.15.

If you really want to go with a 2.7 (maybe from a e30 eta?) or something super low geared like that I would personally go with a the 3.2 (s52) or might as well try LS1 then. lol

***328ti Build thread. ***

Even more important:
SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
anassa is offline   Reply With Quote