View Single Post
Old 04-29-2011, 05:56 PM   #13
00Smurf

318 progress! Yay more progress last night. Got almost the entire dash in, Had to leave some bits off as I will need access to those area's to finish some wiring, and run the audio wires. I gave in to the hype and bought some bulk monster cable 16 Guage Wire. Price wasn't bad though $16 for 100ft.

Worked, a bit on making my top dash area, double din ready. Its pretty rough atm, as this fabricating will be the prototype to get all the measurement's and fitment worked out. Once I've ran it for a bit and i'm happy with the layout and stability, I'll make up a mint one.

Couple things i noticed when making it a double din.
1)The Dual zone climate control is not really dual zone. The hVac unit has the divider for each zone, but its not sealed at the back, so essentially each side is getting the same air anyway. I'm not going to bother trying to keep each zone separate, as i personally have never had an instance of the passenger needing a separate temp.

2) cutting the box, and getting enough depth was not as bad as i thought took maybe 25 mins with a pair of dike's and a razor blade. Sealing it won;t be as bad as it was made out to be either. Haven't decided on what to use for the covering but i have a good bit of duct sealer that i will use to seal the edges.

3) Moving the climate control down to the bottom, was easy. Gettign it to fit and stay is going to be tricky. My thought is to use an extra cd/climate control mount from my coupe dash, and cut it down to size to just hold the OBC, and the Climate control. This should give it a solid mounting point and allow it to stay in place in the bottom double din.

4) The cubby hole/switch tray had to have the cubby hols chopped off, in order to fit the climate control and obc in the bottom. This made the switch tray very loose, and lost its ability to snap in and stay. Not sure how I am going to solve this one. I can always resort to glue or tape, but i don't want it to be permanently attached.

5) The Glove box Support bar, intrudes by about 2 cm, and will not allow the climate control to push back all the way on the bottom. It requires a bit of persuading with a hammer and punch set to give the climate control enough room to fit properly.

And now for the pics:

00Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote