View Single Post
Old 05-25-2012, 07:39 AM   #141
RMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76 View Post
It's an $11 part. part# 51328146243(left) part# 51328146244(right). Comes out really easy, one bolt through the door jamb and a slot up top. Or you can take your old one and have it re-spot welded or riveted. It wouldn't hurt to have the weather strip at least partially in place, but the slam test is absolutely necessary. It's the most important part of the procedure and subsequently the most often overlooked step. But you're right, it only takes a second to position the weather strip or stuff a rag between the window and opening to provide some cushion. I highly doubt a couple millimeters of travel caused your welds to fail. I mean the physical action of the window coming off track puts more stress on those welds than slamming the door does. It's probably a good thing that it happened now as it most certainly would've eventually happened later. Best of luck, hope you get things sorted out.
I ordered a new one from BMW for 11 euros, so I'll get that on Tuesday. My only concern now is that the regulator arms are pretty badly bent again so I may need to replace the entire mechanism which is a real pain in the behind.
RMF is offline   Reply With Quote