View Single Post
Old 06-02-2012, 04:40 PM   #143
L84THSKY

I have had issues with my windows in the past, and I just recently swapped the driver's side door. Yesterday my window was still giving me issues, so this is what I did.

Make sure the control arms of the regulator are straight, that is important. Next, pull out the rubber track that goes around the front of door aligning the glass. Put some glue on the rubber track, and glue it back into the metal guide. Then pull out the rear rubber guide and glue that one in it's track. Then apply some silicone spray, or other lubricant into the felt area that the glass glides against. Next, make sure the regulator is bolted down tight, check all the screws.

I ended up taking the whole glass out, gluing everything in, then putting the glass back in and trying it. The glass was still shifting somewhat when reaching the fully up position. That's when I noticed the rear most mounting arm of the regulator was not bolted down tight. When I bolted the rear arm snug, all the slop in the glass went away.

Do not try shortcuts, study the problem and go through the motions. There are many causes to this problem, but each window may have a different solution; find out yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMF View Post
I'm still struggling with this window

I replaced the rear track today and the windows seemed to be working. I cringed but slammed the door anyway a few times and what do you know, it popped outwards from the front track.

So, I took the window out again and twisted the front track anti clockwise, refitted the window and slammed the door at least 20 times. The window stayed in and operated normally.

I then proceeded to put the door card back, got everything in place and screwed on and rolled the window up...it came out of the track again! LOL, I have to laugh but at this point it's getting beyond a joke. I'm almost giving up on it now.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood

Last edited by L84THSKY; 06-02-2012 at 05:04 PM.
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote