View Single Post
Old 03-18-2014, 01:54 AM   #3
jimmypet

Bumping this thread.

My Ti is just over 170K miles, still on the stock clutch.
Its working fine, but at some point its going to be time to replace it.

My goal is to get a solid, lighter flywheel.

I have read all the pages about the single mass M20 swap, I hate that idea. I don't want to get into swapping ring gears or starter drive pinions. Sounds like a bad recipe of one off parts.

My question is (and I'm new to the E36 world),,, I have read that ALL E36 flywheels bolt up to all E36s from the M44 to the S52.
True?
if so, couldn't we M44 people take advantage of the PLETHORA of lightweight E36 6 cylinder clutch kits out there in both the new and used market?
We would go from a 215mm clutch to a 240mm clutch, which on an M44 would likely outlive the car.

My perfect goal would be in the middle of 215mm and 240mm, and find a lightweight single mass flywheel that accepted a 228mm clutch WITHOUT going through all the silly business of swapping ring gears or starters. It seems from all the reading I have done the only option for 228mm clutch outside of custom is using the M20 part.

I like the Valeo kit option, except the dumbasses made the flywheel almost as heavy as the stock dual mass. Seems silly to put such a load of a flywheel back in.
Since you are in there, why not lighten the load and experience a little zippier response on the M44?

I am betting one can easily switch to the 6 cylinder 240mm parts, with a lightweight flywheel and still be lighter than the Valeo kit at around the same money by using the much larger base of 6 cylinder offerings.

Thoughts, things that have been proven, things that haven't???
I searched around here a lot and over at M42 board but it always seems to deflect to the M20 flywheel which I am not interested in.

Cheers
jimmy p
87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car 2.0 Litre - 068
98 318ti Morea Green "Base"
jimmypet is offline   Reply With Quote