318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Suspension

Notices

Suspension Springs, sway bars, shocks.

» Recent Threads
FS: Racing Dynamics RGR...
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
Last post by 7Senna8
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
0 Replies, 716 Views
My 318ti build
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
Last post by Jclare318ti
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
0 Replies, 1,196 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 04-20-2006, 11:59 PM   #1
BonesOfSteel

Default Want to purchase a new suspension

Hi Guys..
I have read though the whole suspension section and I still am a bit lost. I acutally don't know much so please be kind if I am repeating what others have asked. I am slowly going to modify my 95Ti but I am not going nuts with it. I just recieved $5000 and I am going to take some of it and put some new suspension parts on it. I keep reading about how all these h&r springs and shocks lower your car and I don't want to lower my car at all. I live in Canada and the roads here are really bad, I would just kill my car! All I want to do is make my ride smooth and some good handling. I want on Bavauto.com I checked it out, everything I looked at was for the 318is?? This is the same parts correct? If somebody could just give me some info and parts stores that are located in Canda that would save a lot in shipping. I am pretty sure by the sounds of it all these parts are going to lower my car period. I am looking at about $600 i want to spend maybe a bit more if I have to. Thanks !
BonesOfSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 12:21 AM   #2
dodj

i just use the stock sport springs and bilstein heavy duty, not lower and great ride.
dodj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 01:41 AM   #3
AlaskaBlue

You must have 318ti specific parts for the rear.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:42 AM   #4
318ti_Portugal

Hello...

How are you doing?
I am also going to do my suspension very soon.
First I am going to go with the understeer susoension install kit. To make sure everything is in good condition to install the new components.
Then I am going to go with an H&R Cup kit, H&R front and rear sways and maybe some powerflex bushings.
I looked into coilovers, but i decided on the cupkit instead. Half the price and does the job well.
MODS: Staggered M Kontours; Mtec Side Trim with M3 badges; Mtec Steering wheel with Airbag; M3 Modified Shift Lever; M3 Leather Shift Knob, Leather Centre Arm Rest; Euro Clear turn signals; M3 Electric and Heated Side Mirrors; Cat replaced by straight pipe; Mtec Rear Bumper; E36 M3 Front Brakes with EBC Drilled and Slotted Rotors and EBC Red Stuff Pads; Vader Seats. More to come!

My Picture Gallery:
http://www.318ti.org/gallery/showgal...r=1407&cat=500
318ti_Portugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 09:57 PM   #5
flex_318

Where are you in Canada? I know QMR motorsports in is selling a complete KONI coilover kit for the 318ti for $1500 CAN.
flex_318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 10:56 PM   #6
BonesOfSteel

Well I am sure that would be really nice but I don't want to spend that much money. I would like to just get some performance shocks / springs that will not lower my car.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:04 PM   #7
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

You probally want to look into Bilistein HD's (heavy duty) shocks/struts and find some new springs. I don't know where you'd look for just regular springs not sport springs. You might also want to contact Vitessetuning.com since he's located in canada or pm to H3_2.1-ti who is a member on here.
clear outs all around,stealth turning signals,blue led interior lights, 35% tinted windows,K&N air filter, 12" Kenwood Sub, MTX Thunder Amp,Alpine cd changer, Leatherz Armrest,ACS Pedals/Handbrake/FloorMats & Vitesse Tuning Carbon Fiber B-Pillars/CF Spark Plug Cover, New 16" MSW Typer 14 Rims on Goodyear Triple Treds

www.myspace.com/avusblueti
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 01:41 AM   #8
318ti_Portugal

If you do not ant to lower, just go with the club sport retrofitting kit. It has sport springs, struts/shocks and saybars.
You can see the part number on realoem.
MODS: Staggered M Kontours; Mtec Side Trim with M3 badges; Mtec Steering wheel with Airbag; M3 Modified Shift Lever; M3 Leather Shift Knob, Leather Centre Arm Rest; Euro Clear turn signals; M3 Electric and Heated Side Mirrors; Cat replaced by straight pipe; Mtec Rear Bumper; E36 M3 Front Brakes with EBC Drilled and Slotted Rotors and EBC Red Stuff Pads; Vader Seats. More to come!

My Picture Gallery:
Old 04-22-2006, 04:28 AM   #9
96 3 1 8 ti

Bones, you can get the bilstein heavy dutys with the stock sport springs. I have that setup and its quite nice. You can also get bilstein tourings but I have heard they are not as stiff as the heavy dutys.
sport model, m3 bumper cover, velocity splitter, AKG shift knob, factory clears, super sprint exhaust, UUC floormats, UUC tranny mounts, UUC clutch bushings, UUC shifter bushings, Powerflex LCABS... replaced with treehouse eyeballs, front sway bar bushings, RTABS, TMS rear shock mounts, Bilsteins, Xbrace, sparco strut brace, AKG subframe bushings, AKG differential mount bushing, M coupe shifter, meyle ball joints and sway bar endlinks
96 3 1 8 ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 12:32 PM   #10
318ti_Portugal

You should also upgrade sways. That brings great improvement in handling.
An X-brace is also recommended, since you are going to have a stifter suspension.

My Picture Gallery:
Old 04-22-2006, 02:33 PM   #11
BonesOfSteel

how much will this all cost me?
Old 04-22-2006, 02:38 PM   #12
318ti_Portugal

X-brace is around 130 from the dealer.
If you want Clubsport sways, you could try finding them used.
The install kit is 99 from understeer.

My Picture Gallery:
Old 04-22-2006, 07:44 PM   #13
Montius

If you are anywhere near Barrie, Ontario you can come and check out my setup. I currently have sport springs, sways, koni sa shocks and struts, solid metal ball joints, and M3 control arm bushings. It is a great handling setup, and doesnt sacrifice the ride height too much. Great for the Canadian winters, and if you crank up the konis it serves well for auto-x and lapping days too.
Montius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 03:36 PM   #14
davendeb

Default supension

bones

I am also looking at modifying my suspension - thanks for the input from those who responded

Here is what I am thinking

I would like to make my ti look a tad more aggessive, but still want decent ride quality

new 17" rims and 215 x 45 rubber (done)
springs from bav auto ordering next week (est $325 shipped)
not 100% sure on struts and shocks yet but thinking KYB gas adjust (tire rack) - will get next month

without wheels setup about $1100

snow not too much of an issue here (KW ontario) - may not winter drive it anyway

anyone comment

regards D&D
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 04:10 PM   #15
318ti_Portugal

davendeb, I believe that setup is too expensive.
I'm going to purchase an HR cupkit, (springs + shocks/struts) for 525 euros.
Those Bav auto springs and KYB for 1100 bucks seems to much too me.

My Picture Gallery: