318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Exterior

Notices

Exterior From spoilers, lights to body kits and window problems.

» Recent Threads
My 318ti build
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
Last post by two30grain
Yesterday 06:42 PM
1 Replies, 1,855 Views
E30 trailing arms
Yesterday 04:43 PM
Last post by packratbimmer
Yesterday 04:43 PM
0 Replies, 196 Views
OMG!OMG!
Yesterday 08:53 AM
Last post by Kathylaf
Yesterday 08:53 AM
0 Replies, 380 Views
FS: Racing Dynamics RGR...
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
Last post by 7Senna8
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
0 Replies, 1,197 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-09-2008, 01:17 PM   #1
ATF

Lightbulb Ext. Courtesy Lighting

So while I was unlocking my doors last night, I noticed the dome light and other interior lights would fade in and out so I could see inside before I got inside and it struck me, why not try to send that signal to the headlights and use some kind of relay to do just that? Unfortunately my electrical engineering stops right there and I wouldn't know how to go about A. finding the proper relay and B. tapping in to the correct sources.

Essentially, on newer cars, your car is "smart" enough to recognize it's dark out, and setting a certain time interval, will leave the exterior courtesy lights (in this case headlights and reverse? lights) on so you can see in the dark! I'd love to see someone mod this into their car.

BMWCCA #403399
2012 Mini Cooper S Clubman, 6-Speed
Loaded
2001 325xi, Winter Package, 5-Speed
Traded
1998 318ti, Active, Automatic, TOTAL LOSS R.I.P. 10/20/08
Bilstein Sport Shocks/Struts . H&R Sport Springs . Strut Reinforcement Plates . RSM Reinforcement Plates . Fogg Airbox . X-Brace . Bosal Brospeed Catback
ATF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 06:06 PM   #2
aceyx

It'd be easy with a standard headlight relay. Your source would be any of the interior lights that turn on.

My benz has this "feature" and it's the most annoying thing in the world.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:48 PM   #3
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

I've had rentals and other cars that do this. People always yell at you in parking lots to tell you that you left your lights on. While in most cases, it would be a nice feature to have, I was thinking about doing the opposite. I want a kill switch to the tail/brake/license plate lights for stealth operations ie; getting away from the cops
Old 01-09-2008, 08:12 PM   #4
aceyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76 View Post
I've had rentals and other cars that do this. People always yell at you in parking lots to tell you that you left your lights on. While in most cases, it would be a nice feature to have, I was thinking about doing the opposite. I want a kill switch to the tail/brake/license plate lights for stealth operations ie; getting away from the cops
Send Ron an email.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:00 PM   #5
ATF

As for the kill switch, trace the wires from the fuse box and just put in a switch Shouldn't be much harder than that. I suppose you would have to have more than one switch in this instance though.

BMWCCA #403399
2012 Mini Cooper S Clubman, 6-Speed
Loaded
2001 325xi, Winter Package, 5-Speed
Traded
1998 318ti, Active, Automatic, TOTAL LOSS R.I.P. 10/20/08
Bilstein Sport Shocks/Struts . H&R Sport Springs . Strut Reinforcement Plates . RSM Reinforcement Plates . Fogg Airbox . X-Brace . Bosal Brospeed Catback
ATF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:15 PM   #6
cali-ti
aka Stabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76
I want a kill switch to the tail/brake/license plate lights for stealth operations ie; getting away from the cops
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceyx
Send Ron an email.
or john firestone, i'm sure he'd have ideas too i think ron stygar just did a brake light kill switch.
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote