318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Exterior

Notices

Exterior From spoilers, lights to body kits and window problems.

» Recent Threads
1997 318ti under 5000...
10-08-2022 11:52 PM
Last post by kupkake303
06-04-2024 06:01 PM
16 Replies, 33,763 Views
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by H4MMY
06-04-2024 07:15 AM
212 Replies, 1,623,420 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 03-16-2009, 06:50 PM   #1
tiFreak

Vehicles
Default early-style CF grills

does anyone know of any companies that sell them? I've looked around but all the ones I can find are the later style with the thicker ring around them but I really prefer the older style with the thin ring
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 02:44 AM   #2
tiFreak

Vehicles

hm, bump?
Old 03-24-2009, 02:58 AM   #3
Maverix

Vehicles

When you get CF grills, make sure it's REAL carbon fiber. I've seen a lot of bmw's with painted CF replicas, and doesn't look real at all.
They were "Keepin it Real" when they introduced the 318ti ClubSport in '95 and the 318ti Sports from '96 to '99.
After that... well nothing else really matters.
~Jess
Maverix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 04:03 AM   #4
KarenCaren

That grill is really hard to find. All I see are painted CF replicas. But I'll try to look online if someone is selling it. I'll post again if I saw one.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:40 AM   #5
Maverix

Vehicles

Yea, I've seen only 1 real facelift CF grill and it looked nice. But the replicas are annoying because the checkers are wider on the parts that bend around.
They were "Keepin it Real" when they introduced the 318ti ClubSport in '95 and the 318ti Sports from '96 to '99.
~Jess
Old 04-03-2009, 11:48 PM   #6
tiFreak

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverix View Post
Yea, I've seen only 1 real facelift CF grill and it looked nice. But the replicas are annoying because the checkers are wider on the parts that bend around.
yeah, I've seen them too, but I want the pre-facelift and it seems like no one makes them, I wonder if there are any companies that could make custom cf, I remember H3-2.1 ti (sp?) had a cf center console made and it was only $300, I just need to find someone close to me
Old 04-04-2009, 03:00 AM   #7
Maverix

Vehicles

Well, he only gets flat sheets. They're not really bendable. Notice how the CF pillar covers are flat. And they also only made CF spark plug covers. Of course that's flat. And now they're making CF fog light covers. Guess what? They're flat.

I just found a company that makes actual carbon fiber sheets. But like Vitesse-Tuning, they're not bendable.
~Jess
Old 04-04-2009, 05:52 AM   #8
lysergicsurfer

Any carbonfiber that comes in a sheet isnt 'real' carbon fiber. Carbon fiber comes in carbon fiber cloth, very similar to fiberglass cloth. The cloth is then put on a mold and made wet with epoxy. Then the epoxy hardens with the cloth makeing a glass that has the strength properties of carbon. I know alot about this stuff becuase I make surfboards, and glassing them is the same process as makeing carbon fiber. I have looked into using carbon fiber to make a surfboard instead of fiberglass becuase of its lighter weight to strength ratio and greater felxiblilty propeties. In reality makeing something carbon fiber is very easy, and its about 20 dollars a yard and epoxy is about 50 a gallon, so relativly not too exspensive. The hard part is just makeing molds. The technologies are new and this stuff isnt mass produced that much keeping prices high.

I could easily cover something in carbon fiber and make it look good. However I could not make something entirely out of it, the molds would get complex and I just dont have the resources. I am actually thinking about covering my interior pillars or something. I wouldnt want it looking lame tho.
lysergicsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 06:01 AM   #9
Maverix

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by lysergicsurfer View Post
Any carbonfiber that comes in a sheet isnt 'real' carbon fiber. Carbon fiber comes in carbon fiber cloth, very similar to fiberglass cloth. The cloth is then put on a mold and made wet with epoxy. Then the epoxy hardens with the cloth makeing a glass that has the strength properties of carbon. I know alot about this stuff becuase I make surfboards, and glassing them is the same process as makeing carbon fiber. I have looked into using carbon fiber to make a surfboard instead of fiberglass becuase of its lighter weight to strength ratio and greater felxiblilty propeties. In reality makeing something carbon fiber is very easy, and its about 20 dollars a yard and epoxy is about 50 a gallon, so relativly not too exspensive. The hard part is just makeing molds. The technologies are new and this stuff isnt mass produced that much keeping prices high.

I could easily cover something in carbon fiber and make it look good. However I could not make something entirely out of it, the molds would get complex and I just dont have the resources. I am actually thinking about covering my interior pillars or something. I wouldnt want it looking lame tho.
Can you tell me more? And where can I get CF for that cheap? I've looked around, and the cheapest I found was $85 per Sq. feet. I want to CF the roof of my car. Any suggestions or advice you want to give me?
~Jess
Old 04-04-2009, 06:35 AM   #10
lysergicsurfer

Well this is the carbon fiber cloth, that real carbon fiber is made out of. It is available in different weights/strengths 3oz. 5oz. 7oz..... I have seen 10 yards go for about 20 dollars a yard. 10 yards does a surfboard, with 3 layers on 3oz cloth. Also this isnt something that you just roll out and stick on. The cloth is almost frabric like. Basically you lay it out and cut it to shape. Pour a epoxy hardener mixuture and squeege it smooth. The smooth layer of epoxy should soak into the carbon cloth, and the hardening of the two together makes the carbon fiber. Thats why it looks like cloth up close but feels like glass. One layer should be fine to make something for looks. But for any structure or stiffness you would need more layers or thicker cloth. Making a surfboard would be very similar to a roof, since they are both smooth and flat. The hard part would be getting the edge tucked in. Best bet would be to just sand it smooth until is is flush. Nice with this cloth, is you can sand it down as much as you want and it will always look smooth and clean. The epoxy should stick to the roof just fine, although prepping may be needed. All in all it would be simple. The hard part of course is getting everything smooth and everything to look flush and consistent. Look up videos on making carbon fiber by hand or surfboard glassing videos. You can see the steps, and whats involved. Simple process, but definatly takes practice to get it to look good.
lysergicsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote