318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Transmission

Notices

Transmission Automatic, manual and shift lever discussions.

» Recent Threads
1997 318ti under 5000...
10-08-2022 11:52 PM
Last post by kupkake303
06-04-2024 06:01 PM
16 Replies, 27,663 Views
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by H4MMY
06-04-2024 07:15 AM
212 Replies, 1,438,831 Views
1999 M3 Swap
09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
06-01-2024 03:04 PM
7 Replies, 459,295 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 06-24-2005, 09:17 PM   #1
nick_hegel

Default Quick flywheel help/suggestions?!?!

I'm in the middle of having my clutch replaced and need to do a new flywheel. Is it better to get an M3 (if it even fits????) or get a lightweight one from Turner?? Looking for whatever is the quickest/easiest and somewhat cost effective. Let me know asap. Thanks for any help guys!!!
'96 Alaska Blue ti w/ Supersprint cat-back exhaust...Dinan CAI & Chip...Eibach Pro-Kit Springs...Bilstein Sport shocks...BavAuto camber kit...Brembo d/s rotors...UUC SSK...Centerforce Dual Friction clutch...TMS 9lb flywheel...18 inch OZ Rims...Carbon-Fiber dash/gauge bezel...Momo Shift Knob...Indiglo gauges...Schroth Harness...ZKW's/ProLumen 6k HID...Predator Chromiums
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...urowerksig.jpg
nick_hegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 09:25 PM   #2
AlaskaBlue

Get the 9lb one from turner. I love mine. It will put you back in the seat in first and second gears.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:28 PM   #3
AlaskaBlue

This is a vid of my tach so you can see how it revs

http://videos.streetfire.net/player....C-E0259519B4A6
Old 06-24-2005, 09:54 PM   #4
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_hegel
I'm in the middle of having my clutch replaced and need to do a new flywheel. Is it better to get an M3 (if it even fits????) or get a lightweight one from Turner?? Looking for whatever is the quickest/easiest and somewhat cost effective. Let me know asap. Thanks for any help guys!!!
The best setup on the market is the UUC Stage 2 flywheel with the m5 clutch. www.understeer.com sells them.

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 09:57 PM   #5
nick_hegel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBlue
This is a vid of my tach so you can see how it revs

http://videos.streetfire.net/player....C-E0259519B4A6
Thanks for the clip!!!! I am on the phone with Turner right NOW!!!
'96 Alaska Blue ti w/ Supersprint cat-back exhaust...Dinan CAI & Chip...Eibach Pro-Kit Springs...Bilstein Sport shocks...BavAuto camber kit...Brembo d/s rotors...UUC SSK...Centerforce Dual Friction clutch...TMS 9lb flywheel...18 inch OZ Rims...Carbon-Fiber dash/gauge bezel...Momo Shift Knob...Indiglo gauges...Schroth Harness...ZKW's/ProLumen 6k HID...Predator Chromiums
Old 06-24-2005, 10:01 PM   #6
AlaskaBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustenT
The best setup on the market is the UUC Stage 2 flywheel with the m5 clutch. www.understeer.com sells them.
I have actually heard that the heavier M5 clutch negates any gain that the lightened flywheel gives. (from people that have them on bimmerforums.com)
Old 06-24-2005, 10:36 PM   #7
Dredder

Heres the cheapest light flywheel/clutch combo.
Fidanza stage 1(11lbs) = $450
m3 (96-99) stock clutch kit = $250
thats $700 for a complete kit. Cant beat that........

S50 Swap, Euro 3.5" HFM (MAF), my custom Chip, Cosmo CAI, Custom Exhaust, 6 Cyl. Gauge cluster, 80C thermostat, E46 330 Front Brakes, Powder coated Calipers, Clear Corners, Black Grill, UUC SSK, M3 Front Strut, M3 Front Springs, Powder Coated Valve Cover, ZR3 Laser. and some
Dredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 11:29 PM   #8
nick_hegel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredder
Thanks Dredder! I already had a Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch kit and I order the Turner 9lb one this afternoon. But that is definitely a inexpensive combo!
Old 07-28-2005, 03:03 PM   #9
nick_hegel

Got my car back last night and drives sooooo sick! thanks guys for the quick help
Old 07-28-2005, 03:39 PM   #10
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Got my car back last night and drives sooooo sick! thanks guys for the quick help
Do you get any chatter? How about at idle, in neutral with A/C on?

'99 Dinan M3
Old 07-28-2005, 03:52 PM   #11
nick_hegel

No ac on my car, but a litttle chatter at idle.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:59 PM   #12
L84THSKY

That combo sounds like a good deal. I just wish everyone could come to a consensus on the best flywheel clutch combo. Price is not as important as smoothness and torque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredder

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 04:57 PM   #13
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
No ac on my car, but a litttle chatter at idle.
Same here, but with AC it gets pretty noisey. Luckily it's only at idle in neutral.

I got a factory BMW flywheel from an e30 318 w/ the m42 motor. In the USA all e30 318s came with AC from the factory, but in Europe AC was optional. It turns out the flywheel for the non-AC euro e30 318s weights about 6 lbs less than a factory 318ti flywheel. It only cost me $200 and works GREAT with the factory 318ti clutch.

My flywheel chatters because it was designed for non-AC cars, they solved the chatter problem by adding weight to it.

This is a really good option if you are looking for a cheap factory lightweight flywheel. No slippage from the DASC either. There are only 3 of these flywheels left in the world, so if you want one, better hurry!!

'99 Dinan M3
Old 07-28-2005, 05:44 PM   #14
nick_hegel

I'm not completely sure, but I think some of the chatter is also from a tranny bearing that has some play in it. Very little though, so i just left it for now. I didn't want to go the entire summer without my car. Dusten is the extra power from the DASC ok on the stock clutch? I think this is the next significant mod for my car. So much debt right now though!
Old 07-28-2005, 06:59 PM   #15
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
I'm not completely sure, but I think some of the chatter is also from a tranny bearing that has some play in it. Very little though, so i just left it for now. I didn't want to go the entire summer without my car. Dusten is the extra power from the DASC ok on the stock clutch? I think this is the next significant mod for my car. So much debt right now though!
No problems yet. I've got 5k miles on it and haven't noticed any slip, unless induced by my size 12 feet getting in the way. I think this topic (clutch/flywheel with DASC) has been beaten to death. Stock works and it's cheap. I don't think the $500-$1000 you'd pay for an upgrade setup would be worth it. Just my opinion.

'99 Dinan M3