318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
FS: Racing Dynamics RGR...
Yesterday 03:29 AM
Last post by 7Senna8
Yesterday 03:29 AM
0 Replies, 337 Views
My 318ti build
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
Last post by Jclare318ti
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
0 Replies, 846 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 07-26-2011, 08:10 PM   #1
kelso

Default Fried chip causing timing issue?

when i bought my car, it had a turner chip in it and ran great...a few years ago something went wrong and ive spent thousands lookingfor the problem. right now its at the german shop down the road and he says the timing issue is coming from within the computer! and the car has been jump started before, so i guess that fried the chip, but i guess only partially, cause it still runs, just real ****ty lol.

so has anyone heard of this happening? ive replaced so much **** trying to fix this problem! and if anybody has a stock chip that would be amazing!
kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:46 PM   #2
dave45056

wow... this is your 318th post.
I would contact Turner Motorsports about this.
Maybe John or Barry will also chime in.
dave45056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:38 PM   #3
bmwconnect

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelso View Post
when i bought my car, it had a turner chip in it and ran great...a few years ago something went wrong and ive spent thousands lookingfor the problem. right now its at the german shop down the road and he says the timing issue is coming from within the computer! and the car has been jump started before, so i guess that fried the chip, but i guess only partially, cause it still runs, just real ****ty lol.

so has anyone heard of this happening? ive replaced so much **** trying to fix this problem! and if anybody has a stock chip that would be amazing!
There is noway a chip can go bad unless you soak the DME in a pail of water lol

I can ship you off a stock chip if you really want to try it

shoot me a email with your DME#

email = midnight-tuning@rogers.com

Last edited by bmwconnect; 07-26-2011 at 09:41 PM.
bmwconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:44 PM   #4
kelso

well the mechanic is claiming that if you jump it with the other vehicle turned on, the other vehicle could be producing too much voltage or amperage or whatever and fry it that way.... i did jump it with a f350 dualie, which does produce a hell of a lot of power, so it seemed legit... and it shouldnt have ever gotten wet.

Dave- nice catch on the post # haha i had no idea
but i did call TMS, dont recall the name of the guy but he seemed to agree jumping it may have muddled things up.

How would i go about locating my DME#? do i need to pull the computer out? I would love to try putting a stock chip in it! but i would definately like to put another chip in it soon because ive driven a ti without the chip....and it needs it haha
kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:53 PM   #5
bmwconnect

Quote:
well the mechanic is claiming that if you jump it with the other vehicle turned on, the other vehicle could be producing too much voltage or amperage or whatever and fry it that way.... i did jump it with a f350 dualie, which does produce a hell of a lot of power, so it seemed legit... and it shouldnt have ever gotten wet.

but i did call TMS, dont recall the name of the guy but he seemed to agree jumping it may have muddled things up.

How would i go about locating my DME#? do i need to pull the computer out? I would love to try putting a stock chip in it! but i would definately like to put another chip in it soon because ive driven a ti without the chip....and it needs it haha
Here in Canada we jump cars 6months out of the year on a daily bases and your problem never occurs so I highly doubt that's what happened but again it could be one of those fluke things

DME removal
http://www.youtube.com/user/bearsbmw.../4/pAu0KJ9rWAQ
Old 07-27-2011, 04:59 PM   #6
mohaughn

Quote:

I bought an old conforti chip that still had the bonneville logo on it from a member on here. The chip had run in his car for years and never had any problems and it worked fine in my car for about 2 years. Then one day I strated having an issue where the car would just stall. You could always recrank it, but it would just randomly stall. Had a race shop that I used to use hook it up to a break out box where they could monitor the inputs to the DME from all of the sensors and they could never figure out what was wrong with it. Eventually, we stuck a stock chip back in it, and the problem went away. I met a guy at a track event that had totalled his Ti and he just happened to have a 282 turner chip in his assorted track stuff, and sold it to me on the spot. Put that chip into the car and never had any further issues with the random stalling issue.

Unfortunately, I was never able to get a good read from that particular chip to have somebody knowledgeable take a look at it to determine what the issue was. I actually called Jim Conforti and he told me flat out, if the chip is fried, it fails CRC and the car won't start. Either not my chip(counterfeit) or what you are telling me in terms of symptoms is not accurate. Jim said there is no way to damage a chip and have it still run the car. Not sure if that is really the case, because it seemed to me like Jim was just not interested in dealing with Chip tuning anymore.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:27 PM   #7
bmwconnect

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaughn View Post
I bought an old conforti chip that still had the bonneville logo on it from a member on here. The chip had run in his car for years and never had any problems and it worked fine in my car for about 2 years. Then one day I strated having an issue where the car would just stall. You could always recrank it, but it would just randomly stall. Had a race shop that I used to use hook it up to a break out box where they could monitor the inputs to the DME from all of the sensors and they could never figure out what was wrong with it. Eventually, we stuck a stock chip back in it, and the problem went away. I met a guy at a track event that had totalled his Ti and he just happened to have a 282 turner chip in his assorted track stuff, and sold it to me on the spot. Put that chip into the car and never had any further issues with the random stalling issue.

Unfortunately, I was never able to get a good read from that particular chip to have somebody knowledgeable take a look at it to determine what the issue was. I actually called Jim Conforti and he told me flat out, if the chip is fried, it fails CRC and the car won't start. Either not my chip(counterfeit) or what you are telling me in terms of symptoms is not accurate. Jim said there is no way to damage a chip and have it still run the car. Not sure if that is really the case, because it seemed to me like Jim was just not interested in dealing with Chip tuning anymore.
Jim is 100% correct
Old 07-31-2011, 05:28 PM   #8
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaughn View Post

Jim is correct if the code is jacked by one hex the checksum will be off and the car won't start. You most likely can't get a good read since people like to encrypt thier code so it can't stolen and whored all over the net.
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:31 PM   #9
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:

Wild guess but maybe your DME is going bad. Might want to remove it and check the back of the board for mold looking stuff from Water damage. I pick up used DME with match EWS & key for $100 all the time so I'm sure a OBD-I DME would be less. If you need a parts guy I know someone in NC that has BMW yard and is good on price if you tell him what you are going to pay for it, reasonable.
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote