318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Track, Auto-X & Drag Racing

Notices

Track, Auto-X & Drag Racing Discuss "organized" racing, car set-ups, driving techniques, track tips, events, driving schools, maintenance and more.

» Recent Threads
1997 318ti under 5000...
10-08-2022 11:52 PM
Last post by kupkake303
Yesterday 06:01 PM
16 Replies, 20,344 Views
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by H4MMY
Yesterday 07:15 AM
212 Replies, 1,324,275 Views
1999 M3 Swap
09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
06-01-2024 03:04 PM
7 Replies, 409,986 Views
1995 318i M42 removal of...
05-30-2024 02:07 AM
Last post by BertrandP102
05-30-2024 02:07 AM
0 Replies, 1,314 Views
My 318ti build
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
Last post by two30grain
05-28-2024 06:42 PM
1 Replies, 3,821 Views
E30 trailing arms
05-28-2024 04:43 PM
Last post by packratbimmer
05-28-2024 04:43 PM
0 Replies, 1,325 Views
OMG!OMG!
05-28-2024 08:53 AM
Last post by Kathylaf
05-28-2024 08:53 AM
0 Replies, 1,564 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 11-07-2010, 05:30 AM   #196
DaveKern

Clutch and UUC lightweight flywheel bolted up to the engine.

Engine and tranmission now bolted up as well...but that makes for a boring picture.

More tomorrow.

Dave

Built-by-Bones & SCR Performance
Mishimoto
DaveKern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:05 AM   #197
wolferj-RIP

Agreed, the spiffy blue flywheel makes a better picture!

BTW, did you find the specs you needed on the rear diff and axels?
James 95 active w/leather interior and sport interior conversion, Vaders, full M-Tech exterior conversion. Now m50 swapped* Eibach sway bars, D2 Coilovers, Depo's w/AE's, blacked-out sides and grills, LeatherZ console and door armrests, 1 series starter button mod, and custom finished Style 5's <--- in this color! Named "Roddy": *M50 6 cyl. swap with fan delete, S50 cams and chip, AFE stage 2 intake, M3 clutch and 11.5 lb Fidanza flywheel, 3.15LSD, battery relocated to rear and complete custom exhaust. Sweet! 97 318ti sport, Alaska Blue, Contours, coilovers, Dove Vaders and custom black/grey interior named "Max" 95 318ti Active in Cosmos, S50 swap in progress... named "Pit" SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE! Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
wolferj-RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:14 AM   #198
DaveKern

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolferj View Post
Agreed, the spiffy blue flywheel makes a better picture!
Yep, and there's something else in that shot too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolferj View Post
BTW, did you find the specs you needed on the rear diff and axels?
Nope, didn't get any specifics on the axle length. I did get confirmation that the mid sized diff is 3/4" wider than the small diff. If cars with the small & medium both use the same rear trailing arms, then the other axles have to be a touch narrower.

That was great news, as it means that my Supra diff is narrow enough that I should be able to fit 10mm wide adapter rings onto the diff.

Dave

Mishimoto
Old 11-07-2010, 07:28 AM   #199
wolferj-RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKern View Post
Yep, and there's something else in that shot too.

Nope, didn't get any specifics on the axle length. I did get confirmation that the mid sized diff is 3/4" wider than the small diff. If cars with the small & medium both use the same rear trailing arms, then the other axles have to be a touch narrower.

That was great news, as it means that my Supra diff is narrow enough that I should be able to fit 10mm wide adapter rings onto the diff.

Dave
Yeah, nice clutch, too... I will see if I can squeeze myself under the ti tommorow to measure the shaft length difference. I still have the original ones in the garage for comparison. (IIRC, Jesse did a post regarding the difference on the shaft lengths with pics and measurements, but I can't track it down...)
James 95 active w/leather interior and sport interior conversion, Vaders, full M-Tech exterior conversion. Now m50 swapped* Eibach sway bars, D2 Coilovers, Depo's w/AE's, blacked-out sides and grills, LeatherZ console and door armrests, 1 series starter button mod, and custom finished Style 5's <--- in this color! Named "Roddy": *M50 6 cyl. swap with fan delete, S50 cams and chip, AFE stage 2 intake, M3 clutch and 11.5 lb Fidanza flywheel, 3.15LSD, battery relocated to rear and complete custom exhaust. Sweet! 97 318ti sport, Alaska Blue, Contours, coilovers, Dove Vaders and custom black/grey interior named "Max" 95 318ti Active in Cosmos, S50 swap in progress... named "Pit" SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE! Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
wolferj-RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:55 AM   #200
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

I did take a photo, but it came out messed up. Somehow the vantage point made the small case diff look like the same size as the medium case. Somewhere along the line the pic got deleted or lost. I think I accidentally deleted it from photobucket and it killed the link. Now that my diff is installed with the halfshafts, I don't have a way to measure total length because the halfshafts are in the hubs and not perfectly extended.

I'm getting ready to mount my UUC flywheel and M5 clutch too. BTW, got anymore pics of that purdy stainless header?
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:16 AM   #201
DaveKern

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76 View Post
I'm getting ready to mount my UUC flywheel and M5 clutch too. BTW, got anymore pics of that purdy stainless header?
Not yet, will probably wait till they're mounted up on the motor - but I'll be modifying the flanges so it may be a week or so. Based on how much of a PITA headers appear to be to install, I'd like to try to bolt them to the motor and then install the whole assembly.

Does anybody know if that's doable, or will the motor with headers installed be a nightmare to fit into the engine bay/trans tunnel? FWIW, I have no front assembly on the car so I think I'll be able to just slide it in.

Dave

Mishimoto
Old 11-07-2010, 12:36 PM   #202
spidertri

Vehicles

I just got my E30 axles yesterday, they are 325i ABS axles and measure 22 3/4". I measured from the top of the CV end plate not from the bump out in the middle. I figured the bump would be in the output flange cup.

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
11 128i space gray slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:52 AM   #203
DaveKern

Spent another day in the garage.

Bolted up the tail lights and mounted the hatch - ughhhh, that thing is heavy and bolting it back to the chassis is a real PITA - next time fiberglass, lexan & 4 hood pins.

Spent some time under the car as well, and got the rear subframe and trailing arms bolted on.

Also spent some time yesterday doing a quick pare down on the wiring harness. I know there's a ton more I could take out, but since I'm new to BMWs, I don't want to cut too much. If anyone's a wiring guru, I'd love to know what stuff could be cut out and what has to stay. Here's what it looked like at quitting time:

Dave

Mishimoto
Old 11-08-2010, 06:17 AM   #204
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

When I removed the chassis wiring harness off of my M3 donor, I was shocked at how much it weighed. If I had to guess, I'd say it was 25-30lbs with the fuse block attached
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:11 PM   #205
J!m

Vehicles

Dave:

I have wiring diagrams available if you want/need them....

Also, with the nose off the car, I would still suggest removing the right hand engine mount from the engine. This gives a bit more room to work around the steering wheel shaft, which is aluminum and easily bent.

Order Swap Manuals Here => http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12912

WolferJ- gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:22 PM   #206
DaveKern

Quote:
Originally Posted by J!m View Post
I have wiring diagrams available if you want/need them....
I've got a Bently manual that I've been referring to quite a bit, but can't say I've looked to see how good/bad the wiring diagrams are. Of course, the manual may be different than the TI by a little bit too.

Since I'm still not sure how wild & crazy the build will eventually be, I'm a bit hesitant to really strip down the harness - i.e. if I go with lexan windows, I can remove the entire door harnesses, but for this winter, I'm leaving the glass, so all that crap stays.

I did have questions on a few bits of the wiring harness though:

ABS ECU - if I'm disabling ABS, can I trace & remove every wire that comes out of or goes into the ABS computer?

Security system - can I pull all the wires, or is this something that may need to be kept in one piece because of anti-theft crap?

Door/Trunk ajar sensors - any need to keep these?

Power locks - any need to keep these?

Airbag system - I think I already yanked the brain out and chased wires as far as they go on the interior side of the harness. Hopefully that's ok.

Wiring that connected under the driver seat (and maybe passenger seat too?) - I'm guessing this might be related to the airbag system?

Quote:
Also, with the nose off the car, I would still suggest removing the right hand engine mount from the engine. This gives a bit more room to work around the steering wheel shaft, which is aluminum and easily bent.
Thanks for the tip! Is it possible to install the steering shaft after the motor is in to avoid the chance of bending it, or is space too cramped after the motor goes back in?

Dave

Mishimoto
Old 11-08-2010, 06:17 PM   #207
J!m

Vehicles

Quote:
I've got a Bently manual that I've been referring to quite a bit, but can't say I've looked to see how good/bad the wiring diagrams are.
It sucks. Besides the fact the ti is different from the rest of the E36's (and the roadster is also different, but that's another story...)

Quote:
Since I'm still not sure how wild & crazy the build will eventually be, I'm a bit hesitant to really strip down the harness - i.e. if I go with lexan windows, I can remove the entire door harnesses, but for this winter, I'm leaving the glass, so all that crap stays.
Seems reasonable...

Quote:
I did have questions on a few bits of the wiring harness though:

ABS ECU - if I'm disabling ABS, can I trace & remove every wire that comes out of or goes into the ABS computer?
Sure. Bear in mind you will get errors from the DME but I don't believe this will put you into 'limp mode'. It's a 95 right?

Quote:
Security system - can I pull all the wires, or is this something that may need to be kept in one piece because of anti-theft crap?
Depends on EWS-1 or EWS-2. 1 is easy; 2 is a bit more complicated, but eliminating it deletes a couple relays as well.

Quote:
Door/Trunk ajar sensors - any need to keep these?
I am reasonably certain you can jump these out- test first, if it is not a problem, you can eliminate the wire and jump it close to the module.

Quote:
Power locks - any need to keep these?
No; however make sure you can reach the mechanical actuators to open them mechanically- as a race car, aren't you required to disable door locks all together anyway?

Quote:
Airbag system - I think I already yanked the brain out and chased wires as far as they go on the interior side of the harness. Hopefully that's ok.
Should be fine. May possibly go to limp mode (crash control module); however if you deleted the CCM, you should be OK. I never deleted it that far, so I would think that if you delete the air bags the CCM should be deleted as well. I'm just unsure if that will cause complications with the DME looking for the air bags and CCM and going into limp mode too...

Quote:
Wiring that connected under the driver seat (and maybe passenger seat too?) - I'm guessing this might be related to the airbag system?
Driver side is the seat belt tensioner; passenger seat is that plus the occupancy sensor. If the air bags are gone, this should not matter.

Quote:
Is it possible to install the steering shaft after the motor is in to avoid the chance of bending it, or is space too cramped after the motor goes back in?

Dave
It's a bit cramped on the driver's side. To be clear, I meant car's right (passenger side) mount. Removing it allows room for the install. However, it appears you have Euro-style headers, which are quite a bit longer, so this trick may not work as well for you. I'd also leave the header nuts at the head quite loose to get a bit more 'wiggle room' with the long headers.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:06 PM   #208
DaveKern

Quote:
Sure. Bear in mind you will get errors from the DME but I don't believe this will put you into 'limp mode'. It's a 95 right?

Depends on EWS-1 or EWS-2. 1 is easy; 2 is a bit more complicated, but eliminating it deletes a couple relays as well.
The car is a 1995, and October build IIRC. The motor is also a 1995 with the 413 DME I think and I got the complete engine harness with the motor.

Dave

Mishimoto
Old 11-08-2010, 09:53 PM   #209
J!m

Vehicles

Problems SHOULD be minor; you may want to contact Bluebimma as he has probably cut up more harnesses to the point you want to go to than I have.

My focus is on street cars and most people WANT the featurs to work...

Old 11-09-2010, 06:43 PM   #210
DaveKern

Fuel System Questions:

Since I don't like doing things two or three times, I'd like to try and get the fuel system setup right the first time.

Currently I've got the stock 318ti fuel tank & pumps. In a rally car you re-route the fuel lines inside the car to prevent a rock from rupturing a line. I have to use stainless braided line with proper bulkhead fittings.

For this coming season, the car will be basically a stock S50 motor with header back exhaust, intake, lightweight FW and a chip. I'm assuming a stockish sized fuel system will be up to the task. Looking forward a year I plan to bump the power a bit (or sooner if a sponsor steps up with some cams, forced induction goodies, Euro motor). I don't expect to ever need more than 350whp, but for arguments sake, lets assume that at some point I may want to run 400whp.

What size fuel lines will I need to run to support those fuel levels on the S50 motor? Can I get away with AN-4 lines, or would I need to step up to AN-6? Is the stock fuel pump good enough, or do I need to look at higher capacity drop-in units?

On my E85 powered Mitsu Evo I use AN-6 feed and AN-4 return with two high-output Walbro 255 pumps in-line. That's enough fuel to support ~620awhp. Since the AWD Evo suffers from greater drivetrain losses than the RWD bmw, I'm guessing that the AN-4 will be sufficient.

Thanks!

Dave

Mishimoto