318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
1995 318i M42 removal of...
Yesterday 02:07 AM
Last post by BertrandP102
Yesterday 02:07 AM
0 Replies, 391 Views
My 318ti build
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
Last post by two30grain
05-28-2024 06:42 PM
1 Replies, 2,280 Views
E30 trailing arms
05-28-2024 04:43 PM
Last post by packratbimmer
05-28-2024 04:43 PM
0 Replies, 420 Views
OMG!OMG!
05-28-2024 08:53 AM
Last post by Kathylaf
05-28-2024 08:53 AM
0 Replies, 637 Views
FS: Racing Dynamics RGR...
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
Last post by 7Senna8
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
0 Replies, 1,500 Views
Closed Thread Share/Bookmark

Old 09-26-2012, 03:10 AM   #2671
jca

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunElan View Post
Got some good work done yesterday. Changed the spark plugs, installed my new BavAuto all weather floor mats, and put a new stock radio in. Attached are pics of the old spark plug and the floor mats. Old plugs look good! Chocolate color. I also helped a buddy change the valve cover gasket on his e46 330i. What a chore that was!!

The new radio doesn't have the same consistency with the volume knob like my old one did. Is this something to do with the connectors not being in all the way? This radio was garunteed in great working condition.
The volume knob may work better over time...mine did. Might try squirting some electrical contact cleaner behind the knob.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:05 PM   #2672
Mr.Squeelerz

I figured I would start my wheel project. I could only stand to do one, and it still needs a bit of work. I have no idea when I'll get to them again but at least I got going on it.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:15 PM   #2673
3.2TI

Vehicles

Looking good!
Old 09-28-2012, 11:15 AM   #2674
Daffy

Picked it up from the shop after it has had a new engine fitted. Cooked the last 1 after the damm plastic pipe on back cracked.... Got a recon engine with 104k on it, new rad and new thermostat etc. now for the real fun lol
Old 09-28-2012, 11:23 AM   #2675
michejef

Talking Replaced the hatchback struts

After having been hit on the back of the head once too often by the sagging hatchback, today I replaced the struts. Yes, this is a girly-post - the first one took about half an hour, the second 2 minutes.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:28 AM   #2676
Michael_M

Fixed the Driver door window today, it seems the issue that the window goes out from it rail the front side causing the window to turn upward from the back of it, closer look found that the window regulator seems to go up and down fast enough while the rollers both front and rear not matching the speed, causing the window to tilt like that, I fixed it for now but I know it'll be an issue once I use the window.. Solution is to add a resistance to the regulator motor preventing it from using the full speed at 13.5v and operate at lesser volts 9,5~11 volts will definitely decrease the regulator speed allowing the window roller and arm to move much slower so the window can just align itself but its own weight! need to calculate still what kind of resistance do I need; putting in consideration the amperage usage for the regulator usage
Old 09-30-2012, 01:44 AM   #2677
teetime4one

Vehicles

Finished sanding and polished the second wheel today. Then got a good start on the third wheel. I also took the centers of these wheels to work and sandblasted them for painting. I will probably drop them off to be painted this week. Pic of wheel prior to 2000, 2500 & 3000 grits. It really shines!!!

Sean
1995 Active
Old 09-30-2012, 02:00 AM   #2678
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_M View Post
Fixed the Driver door window today, it seems the issue that the window goes out from it rail the front side causing the window to turn upward from the back of it, closer look found that the window regulator seems to go up and down fast enough while the rollers both front and rear not matching the speed, causing the window to tilt like that, I fixed it for now but I know it'll be an issue once I use the window.. Solution is to add a resistance to the regulator motor preventing it from using the full speed at 13.5v and operate at lesser volts 9,5~11 volts will definitely decrease the regulator speed allowing the window roller and arm to move much slower so the window can just align itself but its own weight! need to calculate still what kind of resistance do I need; putting in consideration the amperage usage for the regulator usage
When the window went off track for the very first time, it twisted one of the arch shaped vertical tracks. It had to so the window could go off track, otherwise the window would've just remained in the tracks. The solution is to place the window back in the vertical tracks from the top of the door. Then verify by hand that the window is in both tracks. Roll the window down and slam the door a couple times. Now stick your hand back in ther and figure out if it's coming out of the front track or the rear track. You'll have to close your eyes and imagine which direction the vertical track needs to be twisted. For example, if the window is coming out on the front track and going inward, you'll need to twist the front vertical track outward. This is the step that everyone neglects which causes the problem to continue. Make sure you remove all of the old grease and re-lube the sliders with fresh bearing grease. Once the vertical tracks are properly tweaked back to their original positions, reinstall the window, attach the sliders & clips, lower the window and slam the door a few times. Verify by hand that the window is remaining in the vertical tracks. If all feels good, roll the window up and down a few times, then lower the window and slam the door one more time to make sure the window remains in the tracks. If all goes well, install the door panel and button everything up. If the window continues to pop out of the vertical track, the vertical track needs to be twisted more. Hope that helps.

Last edited by cooljess76; 09-30-2012 at 02:02 AM.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:06 AM   #2679
Michael_M

That's a good idea really!, I thought more about the electric part like what can be done electricallyy to prevent it going inwards or outwards!

will try that tomorrow, getting easier now since you know how to remove and install the door panel, the problem I only faced today was to clean and lubricate the front slider as it is pretty tight in space uo there!
Old 09-30-2012, 06:43 AM   #2680
oldtin

Set out to replace the hvac blower motor today. Got everything apart and it turns out the new motor was 1/4" too long. To make matters worse, I dropped it and broke the squirrel cage - so no returning it. So I played around with the old motor and found out the brushes were pretty much gone. So with nothing to lose, I de-soldered the brushes out of the new motor, filed them down to fit the slots in the old since they were a couple of millimeters bigger. Soldered the wires in, stuffed the springs back in the slot and voila, the old motor gets a new lease on life - just too bad a $10 fix became a $100 fix. Also put some breyton 17" wheels and sumi HTRs on. Rear brakes look a little beat, but for the time being, I'm pretty much done wrenching on it for a while (fingers crossed). Eventually it could stand to be an inch or two lower and an e46 brake upgrade would be nice.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:23 PM   #2681
wolferj-RIP

Installed the SS brake kit I got from Ed at Bimmerbum... Great price, great kit too... Also swapped in the e34 rear brake calipers while I was at it. (See Jesse, there is one thing from an e34 that fits on our cars!!!)

Still need to do a full brake system flush, but need an extra body to assist with that, as my power brake bleeder is too wimpy.
James 95 active w/leather interior and sport interior conversion, Vaders, full M-Tech exterior conversion. Now m50 swapped* Eibach sway bars, D2 Coilovers, Depo's w/AE's, blacked-out sides and grills, LeatherZ console and door armrests, 1 series starter button mod, and custom finished Style 5's <--- in this color! Named "Roddy": *M50 6 cyl. swap with fan delete, S50 cams and chip, AFE stage 2 intake, M3 clutch and 11.5 lb Fidanza flywheel, 3.15LSD, battery relocated to rear and complete custom exhaust. Sweet! 97 318ti sport, Alaska Blue, Contours, coilovers, Dove Vaders and custom black/grey interior named "Max" 95 318ti Active in Cosmos, S50 swap in progress... named "Pit" SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE! Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
Old 10-01-2012, 02:38 AM   #2682
oldtin

Default How I spent my summer

Just thought I'd post the before, during and after pics since the good folks here suggested I go for the rehab instead of parting it. Apparently the paint was holding a bunch of the car together. Had to rebuild the inner rockers/jack points on both sides. Had a couple of good sized holes in the floor and another in the rear by the fuel tank. All new metal welded in now. Oh, it sucks to drop the rear window bolts inside the body - took an hour to fish them out with a magnet taped to a metal rod.

Mrs. Oldtin bought me a nice kenwood radio today to fill the empty hole since I pitched the walmart special that was originally in there that kept sliding out. Naturally the PO clipped the connector wires.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:53 AM   #2683
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

^^^That's quite the transformation. Nice work. I think you installed the sidemarkers on the wrong sides though
Old 10-01-2012, 03:13 AM   #2684
oldtin

Thanks! ...and doh!
Old 10-01-2012, 08:26 AM   #2685
Mopho

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolferj View Post
Installed the SS brake kit I got from Ed at Bimmerbum... Great price, great kit too... Also swapped in the e34 rear brake calipers while I was at it. (See Jesse, there is one thing from an e34 that fits on our cars!!!)

Still need to do a full brake system flush, but need an extra body to assist with that, as my power brake bleeder is too wimpy.
Give me a holler if you need an extra hand bleeding the brakes, Jim.
I am thinking of selling my Greenie, you still looking for a daily driver? I retired, don't really need 3 cars, Victory Sports Cruiser, and Honda Helix scooter. So the Honda scooter is for sale too!
I will look for a nice white ti or 325ci coupe in the future... never did like the green. Too hot in the summertime. Since you are used to a black one, how about a nice 96 green one?