318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Differentials

Notices

Differentials Limit Slip, gear ratio discussions.

» Recent Threads
1997 318ti under 5000...
10-08-2022 11:52 PM
Last post by kupkake303
06-04-2024 06:01 PM
16 Replies, 20,541 Views
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by H4MMY
06-04-2024 07:15 AM
212 Replies, 1,324,832 Views
1999 M3 Swap
09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
06-01-2024 03:04 PM
7 Replies, 410,167 Views
1995 318i M42 removal of...
05-30-2024 02:07 AM
Last post by BertrandP102
05-30-2024 02:07 AM
0 Replies, 1,442 Views
My 318ti build
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
Last post by two30grain
05-28-2024 06:42 PM
1 Replies, 4,069 Views
E30 trailing arms
05-28-2024 04:43 PM
Last post by packratbimmer
05-28-2024 04:43 PM
0 Replies, 1,462 Views
OMG!OMG!
05-28-2024 08:53 AM
Last post by Kathylaf
05-28-2024 08:53 AM
0 Replies, 1,726 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 03-02-2006, 07:26 PM   #16
L84THSKY

Andy, do this simple measurement.

Measure the width flange to flange of each of the two diff in the picture, with the stock flanges. Then take the ti flanges out and put them in the E30 diff, and measure the width flange to flange.

The problem with everyone throwing their insight into the mix is, they are confusing the issue.

Anyone who has ever done an experiment knows, if you change two variables, you won't know which one did what. By swapping the SAME flanges in two DIFFERENT diff housings, we can do a proper measurement.

I keep hearing, the shafts are longer/shorter so that means ........
The flanges are longer/shorter, so that means ...........
The bodies of the diffs are wider/narrower, so that means........

It don't mean ****, if people keep comparing multiple issues and trying to come to a conclusion.

PLEEEEEZE, some one just compare the flange to flange width of an E30 diff with ti flanges, and a 318ti diff with ti flanges.

If I leave my shafts in, and remove the diff, the car will expect the diff I put in to have the same width to fit. So I don't car about the shafts, just the flanges and diff. The diff/flange combination I replace must have the same width as what was in there. The only way I will know is to do what I'm asking.

Thanks
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
http://www.318ti.org/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=600

1. The output shafts' flanges' holes are indeed further apart than the stock unit. I assume this is where swapping flanges comes in.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 09:01 AM   #17
HigH RevZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali-ti
if you can find a ti or 1.8/1.9 z3 auto that had a LSD (again, this is a small case diff), it will bolt right in with no issues (and be the same 4.44 ratio as your current automatic open diff). it's going to a large case diff where you run into fitment issues (although not too big of issues).
So I would have to find a sport Ti to get the lsd, correct.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:23 PM   #18
cali-ti
aka Stabby

it was standard only on the 95 club sport, optional on other 95s and early 96s (i believe) until ASC+T became standard. after that, i don't believe it was even an option. likely the same with the 1.8/1.9 z3s.
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 01:44 AM   #19
andy

I shall, I shall! I got busy last night, and I have to take the gf out tonight, but I've got all the parts sitting on my garage floor ready for measurement. Comparing the pics from the other thread, they do look shorter, but wasn't that a 5 series diff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84THSKY
Andy, do this simple measurement.

Measure the width flange to flange of each of the two diff in the picture, with the stock flanges. Then take the ti flanges out and put them in the E30 diff, and measure the width flange to flange.

Thanks
Eric
Old 03-04-2006, 01:56 AM   #20
andy

Yep, it was a $550 option on my non-club sport package '95...I still have the window sticker around somewhere.

If someone wanted to make their automatic faster (or if you were a complete nut that only drove on tight roads) you could find a small case auto diff from an older 318 auto; I believe they came with a 4.88. A search on RealOEM would tell for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali-ti
it was standard only on the 95 club sport, optional on other 95s and early 96s (i believe) until ASC+T became standard. after that, i don't believe it was even an option. likely the same with the 1.8/1.9 z3s.
Old 03-04-2006, 04:55 AM   #21
mischief

all you most click on this link if u havent seen it allready will tell you all you need to know now click on the link
http://www.emotors.ca/articles/7.aspx
mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 09:38 AM   #22
andy

Here is a picture of the e30 diff with one ti flange and one e30 325 flange stuck in it.

http://www.318ti.org/gallery/showpho...o=1816&cat=600

Long and short of it is that they stick out nearly exactly the same distance; possibly less than a millimeter difference. Both measurements are 14.5mm, from the centerline of the diff to the edge of the flange.

I read through the link in the last post, and I think this guy's on to something here. Going to be busy this week, but I'll check in when I get the chance.
Old 03-05-2006, 05:35 PM   #23
L84THSKY

Andy

I think you missed the point. Your comparision doesn't help. I asked for a picture of the stock ti diff with stock flanges, compared to the E30 diff with ti flanges.
You are comparing two flanges on the same diff, that tells me nothing. Since the E30 diff is wider, I still can't draw any conclusions from your comparision.

Can you please just measure the ti diff flange to flange with stock flanges. Then remove the ti flanges and put them in the E30 diff and measure flange to flange. If you do that, there will be absolutely no confusion, missinterpretation or false conclusion drawn. That is the ONLY way to know for sure.

Quote:
Here is a picture of the e30 diff with one ti flange and one e30 325 flange stuck in it.

http://www.318ti.org/gallery/showpho...o=1816&cat=600

Long and short of it is that they stick out nearly exactly the same distance; possibly less than a millimeter difference. Both measurements are 14.5mm, from the centerline of the diff to the edge of the flange.

I read through the link in the last post, and I think this guy's on to something here. Going to be busy this week, but I'll check in when I get the chance.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
Old 03-06-2006, 08:11 AM   #24
andy

L84THSKY - I see, I thought it was obvious from the pics, but yes, there is a lot of conflicting information out there.

These measurements were from outside of the output flange to the outside of the output flange, for each diff.

318ti flanges in a 318ti diff (168): 25.5 cm
318ti flanges in an e30 325is (188) diff: 28.25 cm

The e30 diff is definitely wider (by about 2cm) and while the ti flanges do sit in nice and snugly, they don't sit in further to fully account for the difference in size of the 188 diff. Note these aren't super-exact measurements, I don't have any fancy calipers to measure these at home, just a few straight edges and a tape measure.

Interestingly, I swapped the flanges back afterwards, and the e30 flanges in the e30 diff were the same as the ti flanges in the e30 diff.

So, it's the above article talking about only swapping the inner e30 cv joints onto a ti axle? That'd theoretically leave us with an axle that's about a cm too long, right? Unless the hub has enough play to accept the extra axle when tightening the collar nut. Hmm....
Old 03-06-2006, 05:21 PM   #25
L84THSKY

Thanks Andy. That is exactly what I wanted to know. Now the question is, will the E30 diff work wih ti flanges, and the stock halfshafts? I've heard people say yes. I also saw the writeup on the website that Constant Yu swapped inner CV joints from an E30 halfshaft.

That is what I'm not sure about now. Do I keep ti flanges and inner CV joints, or must I swap to E30 flanges and E30 inner CV joints.

From what you said E30 diff with ti flanges is almost 3cm to wide, as opposed to swapping to E30 flanges and E30 CV joints; which is only 1 cm too wide.

The truth is, I have heard of people doing both, with no problems. That leaves me with doubt about what is true.

Quote:
L84THSKY - I see, I thought it was obvious from the pics, but yes, there is a lot of conflicting information out there.

These measurements were from outside of the output flange to the outside of the output flange, for each diff.

318ti flanges in a 318ti diff (168): 25.5 cm
318ti flanges in an e30 325is (188) diff: 28.25 cm

The e30 diff is definitely wider (by about 2cm) and while the ti flanges do sit in nice and snugly, they don't sit in further to fully account for the difference in size of the 188 diff. Note these aren't super-exact measurements, I don't have any fancy calipers to measure these at home, just a few straight edges and a tape measure.

Interestingly, I swapped the flanges back afterwards, and the e30 flanges in the e30 diff were the same as the ti flanges in the e30 diff.

So, it's the above article talking about only swapping the inner e30 cv joints onto a ti axle? That'd theoretically leave us with an axle that's about a cm too long, right? Unless the hub has enough play to accept the extra axle when tightening the collar nut. Hmm....

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 03-06-2006, 06:50 PM   #26
andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84THSKY
The truth is, I have heard of people doing both, with no problems. That leaves me with doubt about what is true.
Well, the situation is probably what can be made to fit, vs. what is optimal given the different dimentions. If it's off enough on the axle to fit, yet might be causing undue wear on the diff, hub, or CV joints, then that's not something someone would discover until further down the road. There could be enough play in the system to handle a cm on each side, but we don't know that yet.

Also, I was thinking, since the 188 diff output flanges are placed further back than 168, then that could mean less of a straight shot, and a longer distance to cover making up for the wider diff.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:22 PM   #27
andy

Okay - finally got this to work.

1. Swapped the e30 inner joints into my ti axles. I could get them to fit in, however, when put the car back down on the ground, the axles did bind up and interfere with the suspension's travel.

2. Swapped the ti inner and outer cv joints onto the e30 axle. The entire setup was noticibly shorter than the ti axle setup. The outter CV joints are quite difficult to get undone, and we destroyed the inner clip ring getting them off. However, this did allow me to keep ABS (the old e30 axles did not have ABS) and come up with a setup that fit.

Here are the part numbers I used:

01 FINAL DRIVE 3,73 09/1988 33101211960 (from a '88 325)
01 OUTPUT SHAFT 33211226333 (from an '84 318i)

I may go with a 4.11 in the future, this is a race car afterall. But I think this should be a good start.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:34 AM   #28
jonchino

ok so is this what worked?

Ti's inner and outer cv joints on the E30s axle.?

plus the Ti's flanges on the E30 Dif..?

and you got the ABS to work..?

thanks
Chino
jonchino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 08:15 PM   #29
andy

It was

'87 e30 325 diff and output flanges
84 e30 318i axle (all the e30s appear to use the same axle)
e30 inner cv joint, mated to the e30 diff
ti outter cv joint, mated to the ti hub as usual

Removing the outter cv joint from the ti axle was a treeemendous pain; it doesn't have a lock washer like the other end. I realize some of the writeups seem to show the e30 axle isn't longer than the ti axle. I found the e30 axle (just by itself, no cv joints on it) to definitely be noticibly shorter.

Oh, and because I did keep the ti outer joints, abs is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonchino
ok so is this what worked?

Ti's inner and outer cv joints on the E30s axle.?

plus the Ti's flanges on the E30 Dif..?

and you got the ABS to work..?

thanks
Chino
Old 05-31-2006, 08:35 PM   #30
97BlueTI

Default help E30 Diff Swap

Hello

I am looking to also do this diff swap for my 97ti, I already have the E30 differential but I am in need of the inner CV joints to put on the ti axels. Could anyone let me know where I could find some?
Thanks 97BlueTI
dvanlengen@mchsi.com
97BlueTI is offline   Reply With Quote