318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Exterior

Notices

Exterior From spoilers, lights to body kits and window problems.

» Recent Threads
FS: Racing Dynamics RGR...
Yesterday 03:29 AM
Last post by 7Senna8
Yesterday 03:29 AM
0 Replies, 363 Views
My 318ti build
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
Last post by Jclare318ti
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
0 Replies, 959 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 12-30-2006, 08:34 PM   #31
aceyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84THSKY View Post
I'm pretty sure the points where the hinge pin connects to the shelf is broken on the left side.
If you're talking about the pivot for the shelf (attaches at the speaker shelf) on the left side I have an extra. Free if you want it.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:13 PM   #32
GhostRyder

sorta the same, but does anyone kno a good cheap, brand of supports for the hood on our 318's?

GhostRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 05:45 AM   #33
L84THSKY

I'll get back with you on that...thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceyx View Post
If you're talking about the pivot for the shelf (attaches at the speaker shelf) on the left side I have an extra. Free if you want it.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 03:19 PM   #34
b.u.ti-ful

Thanks CirrusSR22. I put the Mighty Lift C95769 lifts for Blazer on yesterday. Seems good to me! $32. I'll keep an eye on any stress points, but I don't think it will be a problem.

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
b.u.ti-ful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 06:00 PM   #35
GhostRyder

the autozone by mecharges 19 apiece and they have to be ordered

GhostRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 04:21 PM   #36
dave45056

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exercitus_Ranger View Post
the autozone by mecharges 19 apiece and they have to be ordered
Me, too. I called around at some other auto parts stores and found them in stock for $15 at Advanced Auto Parts. Call around. The numbers are listed. I bought mine today. Ready to install!

I did the install. Hatch goes up with authority. I can tell the force is a little to high nased on how it closes, but They only get weaker over time.
dave45056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 02:23 AM   #37
Mad-Machine

well, I have been running the aerostar struts now since Dec... no issues at all.
Mad-Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 05:17 AM   #38
HuGo

I didnt read the whole thread and i dont know if this is what you guys are talking about. You guys are talking about the shocks that hold the hatch up right? (2 black sticks, one on each side)?

If so, and it wasnt pointed out during this thread, heres another thing you guys can do...................................................

Remove the shocks, make sure its extended fully out. Then drill a whole through the shock. There will be no more compressed air. So you can easily pull it back and foward with no pressure. Now just tie nails to the shock, and when you open the hatch, stick the nail through the holes. Not only do you save, 60 dollars, or even that 15 dollars, but you spend like 5 cents in buying 2 nails, IF YOUR LUCKY ITLL BE FREE IF YOU HAVE NAILS!!!!

Now, i still havent done this though ill do it soon cuz my shocks are getting weak already, sometimes i have to push the hatch up like 5x so it stays stable up. BUT i have done this for my hood. Since i have a carbon fiber hood, i cant put the shocks on because of the pressure itll just crack the hood. So i had completely removed it. Then i got tired of holding the hood up with a stick broom, so what did i do? Grabbed those shocks, drilled some holes, and now i can hold my hood up with the shocks with a nail through them.

[SIZE="4"]///M7
DASC TT Stg 3 Delete! S52 Powered!
Not Your Usual Ti, Twice As Fast Than Most

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
HuGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:57 PM   #39
Mad-Machine

You can't run the struts with a CF hood?
Old 03-18-2007, 09:08 PM   #40
Variance

No, the pressure from the shocks when the hood is closed will cause it to warp or even crack over time.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:07 AM   #41
dave45056

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996Bmw318TI View Post
I didnt read the whole thread and i dont know if this is what you guys are talking about. You guys are talking about the shocks that hold the hatch up right? (2 black sticks, one on each side)?

If so, and it wasnt pointed out during this thread, heres another thing you guys can do...................................................

Remove the shocks, make sure its extended fully out. Then drill a whole through the shock. There will be no more compressed air. So you can easily pull it back and foward with no pressure. Now just tie nails to the shock, and when you open the hatch, stick the nail through the holes. Not only do you save, 60 dollars, or even that 15 dollars, but you spend like 5 cents in buying 2 nails, IF YOUR LUCKY ITLL BE FREE IF YOU HAVE NAILS!!!!

Now, i still havent done this though ill do it soon cuz my shocks are getting weak already, sometimes i have to push the hatch up like 5x so it stays stable up. BUT i have done this for my hood. Since i have a carbon fiber hood, i cant put the shocks on because of the pressure itll just crack the hood. So i had completely removed it. Then i got tired of holding the hood up with a stick broom, so what did i do? Grabbed those shocks, drilled some holes, and now i can hold my hood up with the shocks with a nail through them.
You must be kidding. I took my struts off when I did my strut replacemement and that hatch must weigh 100 lbs. or more.
I don't know about you, but I like 1 hand opening my hatch. I'm sure you'll get sick of this in a day or 2.
dave45056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:39 AM   #42
HuGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave45056 View Post
You must be kidding. I took my struts off when I did my strut replacemement and that hatch must weigh 100 lbs. or more.
I don't know about you, but I like 1 hand opening my hatch. I'm sure you'll get sick of this in a day or 2.
LoL, well i think it would be good for the CF hood since its not that heavy, but i guess the hatch would be a little to heavy for that.

[SIZE="4"]///M7
DASC TT Stg 3 Delete! S52 Powered!
Not Your Usual Ti, Twice As Fast Than Most

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
HuGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 12:13 AM   #43
Mad-Machine

well.. just an update. Been living with the aerostar struts now for 6 months. NO Issues. They are a little harder than stock, but that is it.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:20 AM   #44
b.u.ti-ful

Default Ditto

Same here - problem solved.

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
b.u.ti-ful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 03:32 PM   #45
BobbyDigital

Thanks for the update dudes, I'm going to get the aerostar struts now.
BobbyDigital is offline   Reply With Quote