318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Brakes

Notices

Brakes From what pads to use to brake upgrades.

» Recent Threads
1995 318i M42 removal of...
Today 02:07 AM
Last post by BertrandP102
Today 02:07 AM
0 Replies, 50 Views
My 318ti build
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
Last post by two30grain
05-28-2024 06:42 PM
1 Replies, 1,952 Views
E30 trailing arms
05-28-2024 04:43 PM
Last post by packratbimmer
05-28-2024 04:43 PM
0 Replies, 241 Views
OMG!OMG!
05-28-2024 08:53 AM
Last post by Kathylaf
05-28-2024 08:53 AM
0 Replies, 420 Views
FS: Racing Dynamics RGR...
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
Last post by 7Senna8
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
0 Replies, 1,245 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 02-02-2005, 07:59 PM   #31
aceyx

you can have your rotors tested for warpage by most shops; they basically spin it with a micrometer rubbing up against it. shouldn't cost a thing.

if they say they can grind it, politely refuse. bmw rotors are cheap enough that it's worth it just to get new ones.

also, i always get my rotors from the dealer. why? they're warrantied. i actually ran through two sets in 3 months diagnosing a steering problem, and while not exactly happy about it, they did replace them free of charge.

yay.
aceyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 09:59 PM   #32
robcarync

well im going to go ahead and get new rotors on because last summer when i replaced the pads, i didnt replace the rotors when i probably should have.

auto zone quoted me:

22 bucks for pads
70 bucks for calipers (80 dollar core charge)
50 bucks for rotors

they also said they could have them shipped by the weekend...which is nice since my parents wont let me drive the car until i fix it.

my pops had baught pads/rotors and other auto parts from auto zone before for his other cars and havent had a problem so im just gonna see how auto zone works out...ill let you guys know how it goes later!
Pioneer Speakers [] Aluminum Billet door locks [] ACS Pedals/Deadrest [] ACS Shift Knob / E-Brake Handle [] Clear Corners/Tails/Sides [] Sylvania Exterior Lighting [] Custom CAI [] Dinan Engine Chip [] Dinan Transmission Chip [] H&R Race Springs [] Tokico Illumina Shocks [] BMW X-Brace [] Relocated Lighter Mod [] Custom iPod Mod
http://www.cardomain.com/id/robcarync
robcarync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 12:04 AM   #33
robcarync

i ordered from auto zone...i forgot what brand he said they were but i dont think it was the one you mentioned. i questioned him and made sure they were built to exact OEM specifications and such...and the rotors have a 2 year warranty and a lifetime warranty on the calipers.

i actually got both calipers already loaded with brake pads for 150...which is about 10 bucks cheaper.

they should be here friday and i can get them put on sunday!

now for a random question...i think painted calipers looks pretty good...and since im putting new calipers on, they would be new and clean, and easy to paint before i put them on on sunday...so does anyone have any information regarding painting calipers? im not sure if id actually do it but i thought it was a nice idea to consider...
Pioneer Speakers [] Aluminum Billet door locks [] ACS Pedals/Deadrest [] ACS Shift Knob / E-Brake Handle [] Clear Corners/Tails/Sides [] Sylvania Exterior Lighting [] Custom CAI [] Dinan Engine Chip [] Dinan Transmission Chip [] H&R Race Springs [] Tokico Illumina Shocks [] BMW X-Brace [] Relocated Lighter Mod [] Custom iPod Mod
Old 02-03-2005, 12:34 AM   #34
aceyx

your parents are smart to not let you drive it. no stop, no go.

beck-arnley is like european NAPA. if it's good enough for the autobahn (TUV), it's good enough for me.

that said, i put some serious junk pads on once, and will never do it again (this was the pre-inspection hullaballoo mentioned in an exhaust thread). the metal clips that fit into the piston started breaking, and they didn't so much break in as glaze and cause my rotors to warp. i have no idea about the stuff you ordered but just a warning.

pick up brake fluid while you're there, and flush the system while the car is on stands.

people have mentioned powdercoating is a much better route.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:06 AM   #35
motorsport

if the brake fluid isnt too dirty you dont need to flush it, but you do need to bleed the air out of the calipers
motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 01:42 AM   #36
aceyx

i generally err on the side of caution. if his pistons were jacked up, the fluid in the lines either took on some water, got crap in it, or were subject to conditions outside of its temperature range (or within, but for a prolonged period at a high point).

if you don't know when the fluid was last changed, do it. if you do, and it was within the past two years, a round of applause for rob.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:24 AM   #37
robcarync

actually i took it into an inspection II service last summer and they gave me a list of like 8 things that needed done...and flushing the brakes is the last thing on the list and the only thing i havent got done yet...

i understand caution about these parts...but basically my parents have already spent 3,000 dollars on repairs the last two years...and they werent about to pay more money for bmw or "name" brand parts...and well i dont have the money to pay for the parts so i will take what my pops will let me have.

so yes sunday i will replace rotors....calipers...pads...bleed/flush brakes

never done this before (except change pads)...anyone got an idea how long replacing rotors/pads/calipers will take on two wheels? and how long a brake flush will take?
Old 02-05-2005, 12:21 AM   #38
robcarync

ok so i started today after school...

got tire off fine woo...took out guide bolts....the part of the caliper that holds the pads came off...but im having trouble getting the other part of the caliper off the rotor....it has two 5/8 bolts in the back that hold it to the rotor...and they will not come off for the love of god....

so does anyone have any idea how to get it off! ive drenched it in brake cleaner and lube and nothing seems to want to get it off! i need one of those hardcore wrenches that go "BZZZ BZZZZ" like mechanics have!
Old 02-05-2005, 01:18 AM   #39
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Those are always a bitch. I busted some cheap sockets on those.
My method is let it soak with penetrating oil. Then I use a 1/2 breaker bar with a pipe on the end for some extra leverage. I use the handle from my aluminum jack as the pipe.
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 07:50 AM   #40
robcarync

not sure what a 1/2 breaker bar is...but my pops suggested something simliar...using the 5/8 inch wrench with a pipe on the end for extra leverage...

im busy tomorrow all day but ill pass the information along to my pops who said hed try it...thanks for the info!
Old 02-05-2005, 08:10 PM   #41
motorsport

get a 5/8'' wrench and hit it with a hammer that's what i do.
Old 02-06-2005, 01:21 AM   #42
robcarync

i did...it didnt work...lol

but i was busy all day today...and i came home and found out my pops enlisted the help of our neighbor scott across the street...and they already got it off and replaced rotors/pads/calipers on both front wheels...

that was a pleasant suprise because i have to work tomorrow so i wouldnt have been able to fix it tomorrow....

ok i declare this thread closed now since im done and have fixed the problem of smoke...

thanks for the help guys!
Old 02-06-2005, 01:35 AM   #43
motorsport

that was a rough one